Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be removing a duratec engine over the weekend and had one question regarding the alternator.

The plan is to pull the engine from the top, so what I wanted to know was do you have to remove the alternator before you pull the engine, or is there enough clearence once the EVAP components are removed to pull it out the top with the engine?

Note: I do plan to take the IM off before pulling the motor, so I'm thinking I'll be able to move it foward a little.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
You will find it easier to remove the whole cradle w/ trans. & everthing from the bottom.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since the work will be done in a driveway, removing things from the bottom won't be an option. Plus since it's just for an engine swap I don't have a need to remove the transmision.

This is an ATX BTW, and I have heard that they are easier to remove the engine from the top.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Stripping off as many of the ancilliary parts as you can (alternator etc.) will make the job a lot easier if you are taking it out through the top. The time taken to get the bits off will be gained back when lifting it out. You will also end up with less cut knuckles, which is always good. Why not post some photos.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well acutally I found out on my own, that it's easily removable from the top if you take off the exhaust manifold and unscrew the top most bolt that it hangs from. So~ problem solved.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,472 Posts
23 swap or a hipo 20 w/ a 23 head?

I'm going to be removing a duratec engine over the weekend and had one question regarding the alternator.

The plan is to pull the engine from the top, so what I wanted to know was do you have to remove the alternator before you pull the engine, or is there enough clearence once the EVAP components are removed to pull it out the top with the engine?

Note: I do plan to take the IM off before pulling the motor, so I'm thinking I'll be able to move it foward a little.
What are you doing? A 23 swap or a hipo 20 w/ a 23 head?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just removed my 2.0 duri last weekend. Left the alternator on. Pulled it with the transmission because it looked almost impossible to get it out with trani attached lol. Should be good without intake manifold though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts