Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie alert!!!!!

sorry if this has been posted in the past but anybody had problems trying to get their car into reverse despite it being quite new?
have owned the car for just over a month, had 13k on the clock, just under 2 years old.....ex rental/company car, recently serviced prior to purchase & every now and again i really struggle to get it into reverse. i've tried the whole lifting off the clutch, press it down again etc but feels like i really really have to pull as hard as i can to engage reverse. other times its all fine and dandy!

do you think its worth a return visit to the ford dealership for them to look at? pretty stupid question i know but have to follow the stupid 1st post thing!

(pic to follow!)

·
Registered
80 Posts
My girlfriend occasionally has trouble getting my car into reverse (it stays in neutral). She also has the occasional problem with her VW (shifter design being different, it goes into 1st instead - potentially a very costly error) but i've never experienced it on either vehicle. So despite her being an excellent driver, i'm chalking it up to a "user input error". Sorry babe.

·
FUBARCUS
2003 ZX3 2016 FoST
7,790 Posts
My car does this with first gear I'll have to force it into gear but it usually goes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
try letting the car roll forwards or backwards a little. it usually helps
the first time it happened i was facing down hill, dads was driving and his car kept coming closer and closer......remembering back i could hear a winding type of noise as he thought it was in reverse as he used some accelerator (sorry....gas!)

am actually going to get a pic online woohoo!!!! (yes i know you all hate newbies really!!)

·
Focus "Sleeper"
1,619 Posts

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Problems shifting to 1st or reverse on manual transmission cars are frequently related to the clutch. There can be too much free play in the clutch pedal, or the clutch is almost worn out.

Can you start it it gear with the clutch pushed in? Does the car want to creep forward even with the clutch to the floor? Or does it start to move with the clutch only slightly off the floor?

If so you could have a clutch hydraulic issue.....or your clutch is almost gone.

·
Registered
41 Posts
take the centre console off and look to see if there is anything stuck in the shifter tower that may be floating around. had this problem with my shifter the tab on the small spacer that comes with the Tri-Ax short throw shifter had broken off and wouldn't let me put the car in reverse or if it did go in reverse it took alot of playing with. It took awhile to figure it out as the piece of metal was so small but haven't had any issues since

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
i usually pull the e-bake.
put it 1st, let go the clutch sightly, when it engaged,
then put it the reverse.

it the sometime the car roll after we park, then it is not engaging right...

·
Registered
121 Posts
i have the same problem... i usually just stick the clutch in put it in first take it out and then it goes right into reverse.

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
i have the same problem... i usually just stick the clutch in put it in first take it out and then it goes right into reverse.

Same here. Reason that works is first and reverse are the same gear essentially. Also if I recall first is a straight cut gear which are always a bit more troublesome than the helical cut gears (slight angle, think ring and pinion as an example).

Or is could be the cables are slightly out of alignment. if you click the link to the "how-to's" below you should find a post about how to adjust the cables on your own (with a helper actually).

·
Registered
433 Posts
iminhell, all gears (5 forward, 1 reverse) are synchro-mesh and helical cut on the MTX-75. You would be able to hear the difference in first if it was a square-cut gear. I have found that if I shift into 2nd before reverse it tends to go right in. Of course lifing the reverse lockout helps too ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts