Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a few worries since my emissions date is coming up soon. I'm trying to figure out a solution to pass.

I bought the car in October from a dealer and it had already passed emissions. I don't know any of the history of the car or mods on it but it has kamikaze headers and entirely replaced exhaust all the way back.

My check engine light is on and the code says 'catalyst efficiency below threshold' A family friend told me i would have to buy a cat for around $700 and then cut and weld it into place because the hi-flow cat isn't making the exhaust hot enough to work. I think the problem may have to do with the fact that there is no O2 sensor after the cat.
Are either of these accurate or even relevant?

Are there any cheaper options?
thanks

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
is the kamakaze header a race header?? i'm assuming it is. and i don't know what ur state's emmission laws are like, but i do know that some are visual as well and that would mean you have to put it back to stock!! else you may be able to get away w/ a high flow cat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it's VA and I've gotten emissions on other cars and they haven't looked under the hood. It has a high flow cat right now but my mechanic friend said it wasn't big enough to do the job.
Any idea on my O2 sensor theory?

·
zetec 2 duratec swap
1,648 Posts
Well not having the second 02 will have an effect on emissions its there for a reason. I'd say plug it in and see if there is any change. If not go back to stock for the test.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Shot me 3 deer!!!
9,247 Posts
If he doesn't have a cat, then he will throw a code no matter what. regardless of the o2 sensor is in place or not.

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
if they do a visual check, i.e. pop your hood and lift it in the air to visually check for a cat, you may be screwed. if they dont visually check you can get an o2 cheater to "pass" emissions on the obdII test where they plug your car into a computer and test it that way. that might run you $50 max. you could also buy a flasher device for your car and get a tune that will turn off the rear o2 sensor thereby passing by way of a loophole in the law. if worse comes to worse you can get o2 sensor extensions and run the second o2 sensor back AFTER the flex pipe where you can also have a regular new cat welded in for say $150 tops. no hi flow cat, just cut it back out when you're done. that would definately be less aggrivating that wrestling that header out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well not having the second 02 will have an effect on emissions its there for a reason. I'd say plug it in and see if there is any change. If not go back to stock for the test.
Posted via FF Mobile
I have two O2 sensors but they are about a foot apart and are both on the headers at the front of the car, the high flow cat is down the exhaust past the resonator(pretty much underneath the backseat)
Is this normal?

and also i can't go back to stock because i bought the car with this setup and the stock parts were not included

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The cat probably needs to be closer to get hot enough to "work" more efficiently. Being so far back might not allow it to get up to operating temp. This means you won't pass the sniffer test.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I would recommend you check with your local DMV and get the information on their requirements direct from the source. Some states require the cat to be in the factory position and if you move it you will be required to bring it back to stock. Check with a local smog station (away from your area) and see what the state requirements are then adjust accordingly. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, a mechanic told me today that the stock focus manifold has a cat inside it, so i don't have that with my new header setup. He said the CEL may not come on again if i put a bung(sp) behind my other cat so i can put the second O2 sensor back there.
But when they check under the hood for the first cat I may be screwed.

And so, i shall start my shopping for a stock manifold
ah well

·
Registered
804 Posts
or you could buy a spark plug non fouler if there is a spot on the header for a second o2 sensor drill a half inch hole in it and screw in the o2 sensor that way the sniffer reads as if the "fat cat" was still there (it pulls it a bit a way from the exhaust fumes and heat making the same fumes and heat a stock cat would produce after the exhaust manifold thus producing no CEL's(check engine lights)

ive used it on my OBX 4-2-1 header when i installed it and it threw a light and i did this almost 6 months later and its still working great no lights or trouble codes

PM(private message me if you need a how to)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
or you could buy a spark plug non fouler if there is a spot on the header for a second o2 sensor drill a half inch hole in it and screw in the o2 sensor that way the sniffer reads as if the "fat cat" was still there (it pulls it a bit a way from the exhaust fumes and heat making the same fumes and heat a stock cat would produce after the exhaust manifold thus producing no CEL's(check engine lights)

ive used it on my OBX 4-2-1 header when i installed it and it threw a light and i did this almost 6 months later and its still working great no lights or trouble codes

PM(private message me if you need a how to)
yeah, i did see that option too, I was actually thinking about the O2 cheater with the capacitor and resistor since that's what was on the car when the dealership sold it to me. But VA does a visual inspection and I was told that they're trained to look for things like that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also this is a newbie question i know, is there a way to quote only a certain portion of what the other person said instead of the entire post?

·
Registered
804 Posts
yeah, i did see that option too, I was actually thinking about the O2 cheater with the capacitor and resistor since that's what was on the car when the dealership sold it to me. But VA does a visual inspection and I was told that they're trained to look for things like that.
well an o2 cheater is a temp if you wanna say Fix but in my opinion its just garbage and a waste of time because your ECU will correct itself and the light will turn back on and you never kno when much like those Ebay "performance chips"

so yeah id say space out the lower o2 sensor like i do for $5 dollars and if u need a new lower o2 senor(whatever they cost)will def keep you under the $100 dollar fix range or do it the proper way and buy a $379 tuner disable the lower o2 sensor,clear the codes and your set no wrenches needed lol

no point in buying a stock exhaust manifold if your just gonna keep switching it with the header every time your up for inspection so you gotta have either the header or stock Mani cause you could mess up your head or snap a bolt off if you keep rethreading it back in

a stock mani and not having the cat to go with it youd need yo buy an ORP(off road pipe) all this can be just as expensive as buying a tunerif your cars perf header is a longtube

·
Registered
804 Posts
also this is a newbie question i know, is there a way to quote only a certain portion of what the other person said instead of the entire post?
yeah just hit quote on the person you want to and delete whatever part of the entry you need to and hit submit reply

·
Super Moderator
9,566 Posts
Just to add to this when you quote someone make sure you don't delete the first and last portions of the quote or else it won't work right. For example [ QUOTE=okt_mike;2706807]. is going to be at the beginning and the [/QUOTE ] will be at the end. Of course it will be minus the spaces that I had purposely put in there to show you the example, the spaces before the first QUOTE and the space after the second /QUOTE. You just have to make sure all the brackets are in there to make it work properly.

·
Registered
180 Posts
get the simulator then get it inspected at a lube shop half of them rush the inspects anyways because they want to keep there net rev up, so go in on like a busy saturday for an inspection just make sure everything else is good i e front end play, tire tred, lights, no leaks of powersterring, brakes etc, theyll prolly just look it over, lift the front end wiggle the tires plug it in and done.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts