Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 04 svt is throwing the P0420 code catalyst system efficiency below threshold.

After reading the symptoms the only problem I could think of was the cat being bad.

I brought it into the dealer and they agreed it was also a bad cat, and said it was caused by a misfire and the engine was dumping raw fuel into the cat. They suggested I replace the plugs, wires and coil . They wanted well over $600 to do the work but the cat would be under warranty. Since plugs and wires are easy to do, I only want them to replace the cat under warranty. The service department said they can't replace the cat under warranty without performing the other maintenance (replacing plugs, wire and coil). When I asked why they said it was "fords policy". Is the dealer correct here ? I feel like im being forced to purchase other repairs just to have a part covered under warranty.

·
FF's Night Security
28,766 Posts
Call Ford and tell them what the dealership is trying to do. Other than trying to fix it your self I don't know what else to say. I'm sure there are others who will know what course of action would be better to take. I surely wouldn't put up with it I'll tell you that. I am sick of "stealerships" doing crap like this.

Somebody please help with better suggestions on what to do here. It's obvious that the dealer is trying pull one over on him. Now what to do about?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
IF those other parts caused the cat to fail, (or at least the dealer thinks so) then i do think they need to be fixed before the cat is replaced.
Now you might be able to replace those parts yourself first.
And then after running the car for long enough to clear the codes for those things.. (five or six full Ford engine cycles)
THEN you could take it in and have the dealer fix the cat? (you would be able to show those other parts were fixed. have receipts.. etc

·
BACON?
3,170 Posts
I think Elizabeth is correct. I would not spend my time installing a brand new free cat, only to have you drive home and destroy it again. To the manufacturer its not worth the risk, whats a new cat really cost? $1000? Should they eat that if by some chance the raw fuel does clog the new cat?

My suggestion, go get the car. Do the plugs, wires and coil yourself. then bring it back for the cat. Make sure you discuss your plan with the service manager of the dealership. That way they can know exactly whats going on and plan on your return.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts