Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Dad’s car for the emission here in IL, it didn’t Pass, didn’t Fail but “Not Ready” . the technician ask me if the battery was ever disconnected this week, I said NO, since it was replace last year and there is no check engine light. He told me to drive around in normal condition, highway, stop and go, which I did, a week later, I went back and is Not Ready again. So he told me to take it to the dealer. There is absolutely no problem with the car, the only thing might be the cd player, the radio works fine but there will be a error sign when I tried to play CD’s . my friend who owns a auto shop told me some of the code is cleared, so do i have to have a FORD dealership to solve this problem? Since is computer related.

The car was bought brand new and all service was done by the same dealership, and it only has 87K miles on it, no accident. The service dept manager didn’t sound too friendly and wants $110 just to check what it is and does not guarantee it will pass the emission. At that point it pissed me off since all service was done there for the pass 5 years. I asked him how come shit like that doesn’t happen to Japanese car, lol

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me and I had to have it done that week, so I drove the car 250 miles and still failed. I started getting a little frusterated so out of hope I brought the car to another place and passed. What it turned out being was the lack of job compentancy at the first place I went to.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
What place did you go to, I'm in the same situation in IL and don't want to go to a bad shop. I have an ORP and can't fail here, thank god IL only does the OBDII ports and not the sniffer.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
They didn't do the sniffer did they? They only checked the OBD port right?
ummm pretty sure you will still fail even if they dont do the sniffer because the o2 sensor after the cat(which is not there anymore with a ORP) will say something is wrong, unless you fixed that somehow.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
hmmm I didnt know a tune could help you bypass a emmissions.

On second thought though I thought that was illegal, otherwise everyone would do it where emissions were done. I would double check, it may not throw a CEL, but the OBDII port still may tell the emmissions computer something. The tune may just tell the computer to ignore the part of the code where it turns the CEL LED on, im no expert but I would check again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts