Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I have been looking at trading my 2012 Focus Titanium (108K) in the past week as the miles are getting up there and test driven a few cars. Had been looking at things the ST's, but with the low trade value of my car it seemed to be a little too much for a new car (basically adding 3500 onto the loan due to upside down loan).

Low and behold after deciding to wait until after Christmas to get another car on the way home last night:

P144A - Purge valve can't be opened/blocked

Cleared that, and see if is a chance occurance, codes came back this morning.

P144A - Purge value unable to open/blocked (is intermittent Showing as historic issue currently)
P1450 - Inability of Evaporative Emission control system to bleed fuel tank
P2196 - O2 Sensor Signal Stuck Rich bank1 Sensor 1.

At this point I am gonna take a guess and say the O2 sensor is probably ok, but the purge valve is likely buggered (or the hose).

Where do I get a new valve, and where is it located on the 2012 Focus Titanium please?

Thanks.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after reading a little, it seems the purge valve is on the right side of the engine bay (thankfully not on top of the tank). Local dealer have it for 63 and is in stock. Will go buy it later and get it fitted and pray that fixes the issues. I cannot afford to be without a car.

Looks like it is a new design that removes a large piece from the hose, and is apparently now made by Bosch.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I went to the local dealer a few miles from me, and picked up a new purge valve for 66 dollars. Interesting to note that my old purge valve was actually a Bosch as well, but seems to have an older part number on it. Neither has the big extra cylinder on it.

So far, all I have in faults is the historic p144a listed. If it doesn't drop off soon I will ask a mechanic friend to clear it with his pro obd tool.

Was fairly easy to replace. As the engine was hot I removed the intake tube and pushed it out the way. The clips were a bit of a pain, but got them off after 10 mins finally. Also, I did not take off the metal bracket, I simply swapped over the rubber mount and plugged the connector back in.

Hopefully this is the end of codes till I trade in for something lower miles (This is actually the first ever CEL I have seen... The broken transmission didn't actually illuminate the CEL lol.)

Edit: as a side note since I took the afternoon off to fix the car and I was done in about 15 minutes, I decided to get an oil/filter change, washer fluid and finally after two years replace both low batteries in the keyfobs lol.

For the first time after an oil change I noticed the car actually sounded smoother. Never noticed that before, and only assume I noticed due to the recent issues and paying close attention to how the car was sounding.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts