Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, So I bought my car back in July of 2008, A 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 ST. Love the thing to death. In september I had to replace a rear caliper because it was seized on, So okay I thought that problem was Fixed, now it seems as though the Emergency brake freezes/sticks on in colder weather? Is this a common problem with this Model? When I release the brake it just stays on, I have to drive the car for about 15 minutes untill it comes loose. Just curious. Thanks for anyone Input/advice on fixing this problem.

Doug-

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Rear drums?? You may have ice in the brake fluid. Check the resevoir. Is your brake fluid clear ( it should be ) and not real dark?

Also, you may be able to just take a little tension off of the E-brake cable and it will be fine ( it may be "overtight"). How many clicks till it is stiff?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rear Disc Brakes, Only like 3-4 clicks untill it is really tight, After one click it'll hold the car on a slight incline.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Rear Disc Brakes, Only like 3-4 clicks untill it is really tight, After one click it'll hold the car on a slight incline.
Sounds like its too tight. One click and it holds means that it's probably dragging as well when released. This will cause the pads to prematurely wear. Because its so tight (even when released) its conceivable that rust could be binding the pad to the rotor or moisture could be freezing between or around the pad and rotor as well. Both are somewhat long shots. I'd start by backing off the hand brake adjustment a little and see what impact that has.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like its too tight. One click and it holds means that it's probably dragging as well when released. This will cause the pads to prematurely wear. Because its so tight (even when released) its conceivable that rust could be binding the pad to the rotor or moisture could be freezing between or around the pad and rotor as well. Both are somewhat long shots. I'd start by backing off the hand brake adjustment a little and see what impact that has.
Thanks guys, Alot.. Will try that for sure.

·
Fords suck
4,412 Posts
I have the same problem, ironically, we have the exact same car.

Except mine's not so tight when i pull it in.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha Nice. Yeah I just found it odd. Like the E-brake it's self does not feel tight, there is a little bit of play before the first click, then after that if it's on a very small incline it'll hold the car. I can't use my e-brake when I go out I have to use the transmission to hold the car because if I use the e-brake I'll be driving around with it on for 15-20 minutes depending on how far I pulled it up.

·
Registered
584 Posts
The cold is a problem just got me yesterday morning. It's not unique to the focus. In well below freezing temps, especially when it's humid, moisture will get in the rear e-brake lines and freeze around the cable. It doesnt get that cold here much so I'm not to sure about all how it works. Google came up with several other cars with the same problem. It may be worth noting that I also have an ST. Something about the cables perhaps?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
when its really cold out its recommended u dont use the e brake bc the metal lines freeze..just put it in first if your on a level area...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahh Cool cool. Yeah I live in nova scotia, No level area around here except for a few flat parkinglots and my driveway that was just repaved Lol.. on another note thanks for your helps guys once agian.

·
Registered
7,530 Posts
There is a lever actuated by the brake cable on one side and a return spring on the other. This is the parking brake. It is mounted to the rear calipers (obviously). What I have found with mine is that the return spring is too weak to pull that lever back all the way when the parking brake is released. With the parking brake off I can actually go back there, kneel under the car and pull that lever back the rest of the way with my fingers. The spring is far too weak or been weakened with too much use.

I would at least check this out on yours as well. Put the rear of the car up on jackstands and just play with the parking brake and this lever. Engage the brake and then un-engage it. Go back and make sure you can release it all the way manually (ie wheel spins freely) and see if it may just be a weak spring.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol thank you for the correction, Although they are the same thing lol. Even when I use my parents Auto I used the e-brake/parking brake. Just what I was tought in my defensive driving course when I first got my licence.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alrighty Thanks buddy! Will be sure to try this out.

·
Fords suck
4,412 Posts
On all vehicles it's a parking break, put there to relieve stress on the transmission when you do park it. You can technically use it in an emergency situation, but you can use the steering wheel too, but no one calls that the Emergency Wheel.

Not being argumentative or anything, just OCD kicking in.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Haha I never thought of it that way. My dash light just says "BRAKE" if I remember correctly. Ok so my hand brake froze Sunday night/Monday morning. By the afternoon it was fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah see now today, it is fine because we have warmer temp's in the area.

·
Fords suck
4,412 Posts
I honestly think it may be a flaw in the design, as I've never had issues in the warm temps, it seems its only us ST guys having the issue.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yessir. which sucks because when I go downtown, to the clubs and shit, halifax is nothing but hills and I have to rest to tires on the curb and leave it in gear (Obviously) to make sure she does not go anywhere, I just like the comfort of knowing my parking brake is on, but in colder temps like today and the rest of the week I will not be able to use it which really sucks. I left it on overnight the other night because it was +10 outside so I didn't think I would have any problems, the temp dropped to -5 and it froze overnight, I was driving around for almost 40 mins untill it come loose, I crawled under the car to try and force it off and everything. And it's sticking on the side that I replaced that Caliber. It sticks on the other side aswell but not as bad, I got out of my car to look at another car on a lot and I saw smoke comming from that rear wheel... No more parking brake for me in the cold untill I figure out a way to get it fixed, might be the cable(s) ? not sure... still have a few things to try when the weather is nice outside to try and solve the problem.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts