Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought my 2000 ford focus zx3 about 4 months ago and i drive it everyday. Living in iowa a few weeks ago we had a snowstorm and the day after i was driving to school and ended up in the ditch. Since my car has a full body kit the tow truck drive put a strap through my rim and pulled me out that way and not the tire he pulled me out by is having problem. There is alot of shaking everyonce in a while while driving and at first i thought it was an alignment issue so i looked everything over and ruled that out and earlier today i lifted my car and found that the brake is hanging up on the tire i was pulled out by (driver rear) and after further inspecting it i found that my ebrake cable isn't releasing completely but only on driver side passanger side is fine so i was wonder what you guys would recommend i due to fix this problem.

So far ive pulled the tire off to get to the drum brakes took the drum off... wondering if it was a bearing in the drum i lubed it up (figured it wasnt that because i just replaced every peice of brake cable and both rear brake pad/drum/ hardware when i bought the car)

Any suggestions greatly appretiated

·
Thats What She Said
10,704 Posts
when you say you checked it out, you measured your toe?

you say brake is hanging up on the tire, you have drums so the brake is not hanging on the tire right? are you able to rotate both tires with your hands when you release the ebrake? no bearing in the drum you can lube they are non serviceable and require full replacement. you can take a look at the springs and levers in the drum assembly and make sure they are lubed. that would likely only cause drag (decrease in MPG) not the vibrations.

I would have the front end checked at an alignment shop and have your wheels rotated and balanced. my guess is when you drove off into a snow bank it tweaked something. dragging brakes (drums or calipers) typically do not cause high speed vibrations.

·
Registered
20 Posts
when you say you checked it out, you measured your toe?

you say brake is hanging up on the tire, you have drums so the brake is not hanging on the tire right? are you able to rotate both tires with your hands when you release the ebrake? no bearing in the drum you can lube they are non serviceable and require full replacement. you can take a look at the springs and levers in the drum assembly and make sure they are lubed. that would likely only cause drag (decrease in MPG) not the vibrations.

I would have the front end checked at an alignment shop and have your wheels rotated and balanced. my guess is when you drove off into a snow bank it tweaked something. dragging brakes (drums or calipers) typically do not cause high speed vibrations.
Hitting a snow bank or your car being dragged would be more than sufficient to throw the alignment off. I'd get it professionally checked.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I find just having snow and ice building up inside the rims is enough to give me a speed-dependent vibration. I would assume that if you've taken the wheel off, you would have cleaned it at the same time.

The e-brake is adjustable...well, it's supposed to be self-adjusting, but I find it needs help occasionally. Turn it back a bit until you get more clearance and it'll be fine. But I don't think that's your problem.

Like everyone else, I'm guessing you messed up the alignment. You can't really "look it over" and tell if there's a problem unless it's way out.

And you might want to consider putting a tow ring somewhere so you don't have to get dragged out of a ditch by a wheel next time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts