Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Ford focus SE and the emergency brake light on the dash board would not turn off and keeps giving me warning signs. Could this be an indication for brake pads to be replaced? Also when I drove it, while being on a complete stop my car would roll back while its on drive when i let go of the brake pedal. I was not even on an incline.... this car has had a lot of transmission problems, clutch and seals being replaced 2 times about to go for a 3rd time, but im not sure if this has to do with it rolling back... please help thanks. Oh and also is it necessary for me to buy the rear brake pads with the sensor included ? thanks again

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Have you checked brake fluid level?

That can be low when brake pads are worn without any leaks.

Hill assist to prevent roll back requires using the brake pedal fairly firmly, not hard enough & it won't set.

Your choice on sensor type pads.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you checked brake fluid level?

That can be low when brake pads are worn without any leaks.

Hill assist to prevent roll back requires using the brake pedal fairly firmly, not hard enough & it won't set.

Your choice on sensor type pads.

Thanks for the reply!

But about the hill assist, it was rolling back without being a hill, i was on a flat surface ..

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Running car will roll forward or back on most surfaces, seldom so perfectly flat not to move at all. Eyeball can't always tell, have to actually try it to see where it rolls.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Running car will roll forward or back on most surfaces, seldom so perfectly flat not to move at all. Eyeball can't always tell, have to actually try it to see where it rolls.

Its an automatic transmission, it should roll foward on its own when letting go of the brake pedal. Also I checked the brake fluid and it looks like its on a good level. Could it be a wiring problem?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Apparently some confusion about the transmission despite your first post mentioning the clutches. Your transmission does NOT have a torque converter setup so it isn't always providing some drive to the wheels when "in gear". The "drive" position of the shift lever only indicates what it will do when you use the accelerator pedal to command it to move. If a clutch was slipping all the time to provide some "drive" to the wheels even when stopped it would heat up & wear out VERY quickly, and not "drive" very well (unintended slip) while it's that hot.

For the "E-Brake" light you mention you'll have to do more investigation, as there is VERY little info. here as yet on the MkIII's. Very few have actually done repairs yet on those models & reported info./results here.

I was assuming you actually had a "brake" warning light when you posted "E-brake" light, all prev. models used a single warning light for the system EXCEPT for an added ABS warning that was separate. AFAIK that remains the same, you need to confirm it by checking manual & dash board.

Most common causes for the brake warning without a brake system fault per se are low fluid or a handle not fully returned to it's position. After that the next tests are to look at the actual switches at each to determine if they are working correctly. Float switch at the brake fluid reservoir and position switch at the E-brake handle.

Quickest to reach is the float switch in the reservoir cap, and besides removing the cap to check fluid level you can set it down offset in the hole to hold the float up to see if the warning changes. If that doesn't make a change, you need to test it electrically with a meter to see if it responds correctly when the float is moved (continuity/no continuity) before moving on to the E-Brake handle switch top make the same continuity/operation tests.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'll note right now that the brake light has probably has nothing to do with the normal braking system. I believe that any sensors related to ABS or the brakes are not advanced enough or purposed to detect worn brakes.

I was nearing the end of my pad life on my front brakes before taking a 650 mile trip. At some point on that trip my left front caliper stuck partially closed, causing that brake pad to rub to bare metal. The other pad quickly deteriorated as well, I believe the car's ABS-based torque vectoring / torque-steer correction system continued to apply brake to the right side as well to cause the car to drive straight.

Anywho when I got back home I basically only had e-brake left. There was no light on the dash or any warnings about the brakes.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ yes, warnings are limited to E-brake handle position, brake fluid level and possibly failure of one half of the brake system (not sure that is even included now, as lower pedal is supposed to be a warning). ABS failure has a separate warning but both warnings usually come on then.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Ford focus SE and the emergency brake light on the dash board would not turn off and keeps giving me warning signs. Could this be an indication for brake pads to be replaced? Also when I drove it, while being on a complete stop my car would roll back while its on drive when i let go of the brake pedal. I was not even on an incline.... this car has had a lot of transmission problems, clutch and seals being replaced 2 times about to go for a 3rd time, but im not sure if this has to do with it rolling back... please help thanks. Oh and also is it necessary for me to buy the rear brake pads with the sensor included ? thanks again
I am having a similar problem it keeps saying that my fluid is low but i had it checked and i checked myself and it was full but it wont say anything else. i was told it could be a sensor but i do not know for sure

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Fairly simple to check the sensor, it's just a float attached to the reservoir cap.

You can remove it and test continuity of the switch for up & down positions, or start by pressing it up to see if the warning disappears.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fairly simple to check the sensor, it's just a float attached to the reservoir cap.

You can remove it and test continuity of the switch for up & down positions, or start by pressing it up to see if the warning disappears.

So what I came to figure out on my focus was 90% of the time it’s a simple switch by testing it just wiggle the e brake handle to see if it switches off

1 - 11 of 11 Posts