Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I told them that people blow Zetec's all to hell because of dry nitrous systems. They simply don't understand that spraying through the MAF will not work and that the Zetec cars don't have a return style fuel system. Their reply was:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Blane,

We have done many Dyno Pulls on our 2001 Focus with the Ztec motor with no problems using the Nitrous kit. With the 70408 kit the directions state to place the nitrous nozzle in the air box directed at the MAF sensor. When the nitrous is activated it will cool down the MAF sensor and the computer will add fuel to compensate for the Nitrous. .

Chris Wiesinger

Edelbrock EFI Department

Sport Compact Tech

[email protected]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I sent a reply asking for the dyno sheets with A/F ratios. No response yet.

I sprayed a 35 dry shot on the fofo when I first got it and could immediately hear it detonating. I was spraying through the MAF as Chris stated above.

I think they should take it off of their site and out of their parts catalog. If people buy it they'll blow their engines.

I guess we can wait to see what their dyno's and a/f mixtures say.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I could be wrong, but I didnt think you could use dry nitrous on a non tpi type fuel injected car.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's kinda like putting a turbo or supercharger on and not getting a tune. Just wait and it'll blow up.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
really? it blows up? I honestly didn't know that. I thought A turbo just spools up freely and you hope ur pointed in a straight line when the boost kicks in.

TELL ME MORE?
Logan

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't have the proper tune you will detonate. Detonation is bad, mkay? lol

Here's what Edelbrock just sent me:

Focus.pdf

and

Dyno spreadsheet

Somehow I don't think it works that well. When I hit it with the dry 35 shot and detonated I didn't feel ANY extra power, but when I hit it with the wet 55 shot I couldn't stop spinning.

Somehow I think they're mixing up dyno sheets and kits, unless they tuned the focus for a dry shot. If they tuned it then they should say "hey, we got our car tuned to work with the dry shot. don't run this without a tune!"

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Forgot to mention that I asked for A/F ratios during the dyno testing and they weren't provided. hmmmmm

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Then you'd need to adjust the jets in the carb(s) appropriately.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I don't see why people seem to want a dry kit so badly. The wet kit seems so much easier to fine tune, and is just as easy to install, really.

That plus every person I know that has had a nitrous related problem was either running a dry kit, or had a failure in the fuel side of the wet kit.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The dry kits are about 50 bucks cheaper.. that's the only reason i can think of...

I'll be using a dry shot once I get the rebuild done, but that'll be on top of a wet shot and a tune specifically for it.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Dont colder IAT's (Nitrous Spraying on a MAF) also bump timing?? I thought you were supposed to run STOCK or slightly retarded timing for Nitrous...

They call it a Ztec...we cant trust them...Just let them keep making their best bang for the buck Civic turbo kit and leave our cars alone.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Hey, one thing I will give them is that they did at least get back to you, bad kit or not, at least they are resonsive. Thats better than alot of companies out there.
I have never really liked dry kits except for the smalles t shots, and even then I prefer a wet kit. Guys that know alot more about nitrous than I do seem to agree with that. Unless there is a specific tune dialed in for the dry shot, use wet.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mike 1, indeed!

Viney, true. At least they're communicative. Maybe I can convince them that dry kits are bad if ya cant add the fuel.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well apparently they don't want to listen to anyone so when I get dyno'd I'll do one with a dry and one with a wet kit. Just to prove a point.

·
Registered
773 Posts
2 words: Nitrous Express. Great wet kit. reasionable price (heck u can prob find one for sale in the classifieds here). I had one, then had parential issues, then had to sell it but from what i have read its one of the best.

oh.. and as stated above: Dry kits are evil.
wet or DP only on a focus

-Sarif2029

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
I have a NX as well, and its been fine for over two years!!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
the important parts of mine are NX also (nozzle and solenoids)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts