Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
not sure if this is the right section to post in but i was just wondering how the elevation effects your performance, 1/4 mile times hps etc. im at 2389 ft. and ran a 15.8 just wondering what kind effect the elevation had on my time.

·
on thin air
3,671 Posts
Tkaen from: http://www.nissanperformancemag.com/may03/ask_sarah/

Volumetric efficiency decreases at higher elevations. There is less oxygen in the air available for combustion and you can't get as much power. Air density is affected by temperature, humidity, and atmospheric pressure. You will feel a power loss on a hot or humid day as well. There is roughly a 3% drop in horsepower per 1,000 foot increase in elevation. To determine how much horsepower you lose, multiply your horsepower by 3% and again by the elevation, then divide by 1,000. If you have 150 whp at sea level, at a track like Los Angeles County Raceway at 2,500 feet elevation, you'll lose [2500 * 0.03(150)]/1000, or 11.25 whp.

So, i live in CO and own an SVT...lets just say I am stock 170hp @ sea level. If I do this calculation for elevation of 6200 ft....roughly where my house sits...... I loose about 31.6hp.

A difference in elevation from sea level to 5000 feet is worth a whopping 20 percent!

i am sure they have corrected times at the track...its pretty standard

1 - 2 of 2 Posts