Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here bought or heard their subs or components in person. From what I have read they are a good company, but without hearing it I am warry of buying.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Lucidity said:
Has anyone here bought or heard their subs or components in person. From what I have read they are a good company, but without hearing it I am warry of buying.
i remember them taking peoples money for some deck they were supposed to rebadge and sell in the states..ural.. or something like that... they hyped the shit out of it and took peoples money before they even worked out a deal with the company producing the deck.. for some reason they wern't able to get the deck and refunded all the money.. seems like a lame way to run a business.. take orders, market the thing before you even have a contract to buy them...

and then there is the cutout diameter on the eu700's... the terminals are positioned so that you have to cut a larger circle than you should.. with the 'correct' sized hole it seems like it would be very easy to tear out the wood while screwing them in and hard to center..... overall it just doesn't look like it was very well designed or thought out before it went into production.

I would stay away from ED.. they just don't seem to have it together as a company..but thats just me.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
faulkton, I really wish you'd erase that post. You've taken very limited information and bastardized it.

I was on the list for the URAL unit, and there's a lot more information regarding the other company you're not aware of. I was in communication with a rep for URAL.

As for the Eu-700, the posts do NOT stick out like that. Those are bent. I know, because I had 2 of them straight from eD.

eD is a very popular company with mid-level products. The only issues I'm aware of were a line of subs a few years ago that are no longer available and the problems were fixed. And of course you're only going to hear from those who have had bad experiences.

I suggest eD products all the time. The components are based off of CDT Audio design. I'd only suggest the 6500 set. I'd have no problem suggesting the subs and amps either. The amps are very dynamic, but a little bright and open, so you'd want laid back or warm speakers to match. The Nine.1 sub amp is very popular. A member here just bought one to drive two 12" subs and likes it alot. I tried out a Nine.2 amp.

They offer good deals on packages, check this out:
http://www.edesignaudio.com/packages

·
Registered
316 Posts
In regards to the ural, did they not take money before they had a solid contract to obtain the product? Did they not hype and market the product (and take peoples money) before they had thoroughly investigated the company and knew who they were dealing with? Thats what weirds me out..

And here is a pic Ben posted in defense of the eu700 ( i dont think ben would bend the terminals out to exaggerate the design flaw)

It looks like it would be hard to center and easy to tear out the wood.. its not a good fit.. you have to make a larger hole then would be ideal. Taken from this thread,
http://www.soundbuggy.com/forum/vie...days=0&postorder=asc&highlight=eu700&start=15

They just don't seem real together to me and personally i would avoid them. Im not slandering them, just presenting my take on them because thats what the original poster asked. I dont think its bad to present more than one point of view so i wont delete my post. I'm sure a mod will if I'm out of line.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Wow, I read the thread and know of Thoraudio. I honestly don't remember the terminals sticking out like that. I though they were straight, but then again, I didn't mount them either.

As for mounting the 6500, the Focus doors have 2.5" depth, that's why I use a 1/2" MDF baffle spacer to modify the 5x7 hole to fit a 6.5 or 7" woofer. Some guys have installed 8" woofers in the doors with some metal trimming if the basket is still too big at that tapered point.

The Eu-700 is a rare driver and if the terminals stick out like that, then it's a harder mount. People seem to forget what that driver is designed for and what is necessary in the design to make it happen. In this case, the basket and magnet is huge. They wanted to make people happy by adding push terminals, but due to the size, they really should have regular terminals instead. Actually, you can order them without the push terminals to make the installation easier.

Don't let one or two issues ruin your opinion of the company. Trust me, every company of every business out there has to deal with haters and people who need something to complain about.

As I said, they offer mid-level gear. Good bang for the buck. Don't expect high-end performance, like Arc Audio, Zapco, DLS, etc. But I'd put them at the same level as the profit-driven larger companies like Alpine, Memphis, Rockford, etc.

faulkton, sorry if I jumped on that post, but it seemed a bit overboard. I have experience with eD, have referred them for over a year without any complaints, and have used their products personally. I've also shared numerous emails and discussions with Ben Milne. He's always been very helpful to answer any questions I had. He let me try an amp knowing that I'd most likely return it. It's a good amp, but no where near the level of Arc Audio.... then again, no where near the price either. [;)]

As for the URAL, they had an agreement, but things changed. Too many factors and people involved to make hasty decisions. They obviously returned everyone's money, and are bummed the unit didn't work out. I have a feeling that HU will have some revisions and make another entry into the states. It has a lot of potential. I actually communicated a lot with the URAL rep and the techs via the rep to make a few suggestions and why they'd be needed in order to seal the deal. They are simple changes and I have no doubt we'll see it again later.

213slayer666, I wonder if you can bend the metal tab the terminals are mounted to?
Look into that when you get yours.

From their site:

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Hey, wait a minute. That posting was almost a year ago. I bought mine later. It's possible they made some changes since then. I guess we'll see when slayer gets his.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'm not trying to hate on ED.. i looked into a few of their products..mainly the ural and the eu700 and those were the reasons i got scared away. I I also havent followed the product evolution of the eu700 so maybe the terminal issue is fixed on them now. That pic you posted looks like it was taken from an angle trying to hide how far the terminal sticks out though. It just seems like they rush stuff out on the market.. and that makes me a little nervous.

I havent heard anyone really complain about the SQ of the comps or anything.

the ural looked amazing.. it would be great if it made it to market with the claimed features, but so far it just looks like vaporware.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here is what I own:

1 Nine.1
1 Nine.2
1 Nine.4

2 13Kv.2
1 16Ov.2

I have installed 9Kv.2's, 11Ov.2's, 11Kv.2's as well as Eu-700's.

(All of the aforementioned products I highly recommend)

When the Eu-700 originally came out there were comments and complaints about the terminals sticking out too far. But if you have ever read a thread on the icix forums, you would know what the cutout diameter is (and you would know it works without issues).

You would also find that anyone who followed the guidelines posted on icix, never had problems with centering the speaker or tearing of the mounting material (MDF or whatever you choose to use).

Regardless, they did end up changing the terminals.

If you want to know what happened with Ural, read it from the source. Not a 3rd party.

http://icixsound.com/vb

There is a forum dedicated to the Ural.

Here is the post explaining for those too lazy to search:

http://www.icixsound.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23600

·
Registered
168 Posts
faulkton said:
It just seems like they rush stuff out on the market.. and that makes me a little nervous.
They do anything but that.

You would have to follow the history and timeline to actually know or understand though.

They are a growing company, everything is getting better for them.

If you ever have the time, just view all posts made by Ben Milne, you'll more than likely find posts detailing particular products/comments or complaints that you may have.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I thought it was warranty and contract issues, but I didn't want to say for sure. I remember reading that when it was posted. Thanks for posting the link.

The URAL is a great unit, some guys actually have it on some other forums. The downside is the lack of features on the sub channel (7th ch) and a couple of other little things. Again nothing big, but if they change those, then it will be one hell of an all-in-one unit versus the H701 or P9 options.

·
Registered
19 Posts
eD is a very solid company as FocusInCali has explained. I recently installed a complete eD system in a friend's car. This set-up consisted of a 9.4, 9.2, 9.2x, 6500 comps active, 6000 midbasses and a 13Ov2 sub.

The 9.2 ran the 6500 mids, 9.4 ran the 6000 mids as rear fill and the tweeters from the 6500 set up front, the 9.2x runs the sub.

I have owned a 9.4, 6000 comps and such mself and have had nothing but good things to say about eD equipment.

BTW, they do not rush things out. If you go to the ICIX forums, you can see how long it takes for them to develop new products. Look at the topic of their upcoming 5 channel amp!

The newer eU-700s don't stick out that far. Besides, notch the MDF, then use speaker gasketing to seal up and screw that puppy home.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
25NFA or 26A ??
They're known for great SQ, but not to be played LOUD.
You may also need to back off on the gain/power; they don't need much. [:D]

3.1KHz is the low-end for the LPG tweeter (18 or 24dB, not sure of 12dB)

The RS180 reaches to about 2 or 2.2KHz at 12dB or 18dB.

Those are the best settings to minimize distortion.
It's ok to have a dip in that gap. The slope still plays audio in the gap.
That dip may also help with stage depth a little.

Tweeters in the a-pillars?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Tweeters in A pillars. They are the 25NFA. They do sound good. The mids get 70 watts where the tweets get 35. All from a Next VRz5.500.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.