Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings Fellow Focus Owners! I apologize if I didn't see a thread already containing this information. I have been having some real issues with my passenger door and left rear door locks. A little history... I have a 2000 Focus SE. I just paid the car off, which means that now everything starts to go.....[scream] !! A few years ago, all the locks stopped working. I took it to the dealership, they said either $300 or "simply" bypassing the driver's side lock motor (if that makes sense). The rest of the doors could be locked with the remote, but not the drivers side. Now, the remotes don't do jack, and I can't manually unlock the doors that are locked. Also, since the trunk won't open unless ALL doors are unlocked, I can't even get into the trunk. I have tried the key, to no avail. I am to the point of taking it to someone else, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem, and hopefully fix this myself. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
25,618 Posts
Just to make sure, you have replaced the batteries in the remote?... If so, can you hear the actuators "click" when you push the button?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will try the batteries. I don't think that will work, because the lock buttons on the doors don't work either. Would changing the batteries mess up the frequency for the remotes? When I have tried the remotes, I still can't hear anything. I have purchased a Chiltons manual for this vehicle, but if you can imagine it wasn't much help. But I have it for other things now. I like this car, but if this stuff keeps happening, I think I will get a truck! I am wondering if there is a way to possibly reset the locks? When I tried to manually unlock the doors that are currently locked, the handle comes out about half way when the lock is pressed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You would bypass the lock actuator otherwise the central locking module wont allow the keyless entry to work. As for your locks not working at all now, check fuse 63 which is on the back of the fuse box. Its easier to drop the fuse box down to get at it. The doors have to be unlocked to open the trunk because the trunk is controlled through the central locking module, when you lock the doors the module ignores trunk release button in the car.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have changed the fuses, and that worked for awhile, but it keeps blowing them. At least I know where to go from here. Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its the door lock actuator blowing the fuse. Thats why bypassing it or replacing it will prevent the fuse from blowing. The blown fuse would also prevent your trunk from unlatching. I should have included that in my last post.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
>> I can't even get into the trunk. I have tried the key, to no avail. <<

The lock cylinders often stick when they are never used. You might be able to free it up by squirting some lock lube, or WD-40 into the keyhole and the inserting the key and wiggling gently back and forth a bit. Repeat a few times.

This is a good time to remind people that you should use your key to lock and unlock manually at least a couple of times a year to prevent the cylinder from freezing through disuse. Someday you might need the manual unlock option if the electrics have a problem. A little lock lube once a year would also be a good idea.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a similar problem with my passenger door. The actuator won't fully release the lock resulting in the door opening a little bit and then getting stuck on the lock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts