Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I descovered the rear footweels (and some of the front) full of water. I checked the boot and had about 2inches of water in the spare wheel space, I striped the car. Fixed the rear vents (silicone sealant) and dryed out all the foam sections of carpet.
I put it all back together today and noticed the right sidelights only were on.
I turned on the ignition (I have keyless enrty and start) and I had a message saying "ford keyfree switch ignition off press power" so I did.
Lights started flickering and ignition on and off. I couldn't open the boot and the message changed to "ford keyfree no key detected".

I disconnected the battery.

I know I have water in the loom somehow altho I didn't disconnect or unplug anything other than the seats while drying it out.

Does anyone know of any week points along the floor plan that water could have gotten into while I was drying it all out?
Thanks...

·
Registered
16,448 Posts
ALL of the wiring harness is a weak point, they are not waterproof inside the car and the wire actually sucks up water into the strands by capillary action.

Drying may only make things worse depending on how dirty the water was, once dried any pollutants in the water then dry up to become shorting points, the dirt and filth in the water then become the problem there. Why the trouble often stays long after the water is dried up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply mate. I shoved a dehumidifier in there and ran it for a day and night. The whole lot is bone dry now!
I also descovered the battery was down to 6volts so I charged it and the car is all ok. Went out and brought a new battery today so all good!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sometimes a bad battery not supplying enough voltage to vehicle will cause false check engine lights and other weird issues.Good luck with your car not having further electrical gremlins in the future.

·
Registered
16,448 Posts
X2, often they come back quick and say that until the problems begin later, then you never hear about it. They don't like to say they were wrong, it's normal to be that way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts