Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 computer fans that i plan on hooking up to blow air across my amp (something different and somewhat efficient). I'm tryin to find info on how to wire it up (even though i know how)

the12volt.com says to use a SPDT relay, but i dont see why. I have a SPST relay. i plan on tapping the amp remote wire as the on/off 12v, the amp power wire as the 12v+, and the other 2 connections go to the fans and ground.

so the final question is.. SPST or SPDT?

Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
SPST will work just fine, SPDT are much more common. We only stock SPDT just because it saves the hassle of 2 part numbers and they cost virtually the same.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
when i had mine set up to do that (run CPU fans) i used a SPST relay. worked fine for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replies ppl. radioshack only had SPST in an automotive relay amperage. I read to get a 30A one, is that bad? I wasn't sure since both of the fans are rated at .15A, but on www.the12volt.com, they say to use a 30A one.. i guess ill be fine?

·
Registered
433 Posts
am i missing something? why can't you just wire the fans up to remote and ground off the amp? Then you don't have to use a relay at all. I can see if the fans drew more current maybe adding a relay, but right now I have my 2 amps, strobes, and neons all tapped into my radio remote turn on and its only fused at 2 amps...never blown or had any problems at all. Just wondering I guess.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts