Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently performed an Alternator and pigtail swap on an 03' SVT. Before the swap the battery light would come and and none of the gauges would work. After the swap everything worked except the speedometer and Odometer. Is this a VSS issue or do I have problems with the computer? I also don't have any turn signals (bulbs and fuses are good). Please let me know what you think

·
Registered
70 Posts
How's the battery post/cable? For the turn signals, these are simple circuit. I don't it goes through the computer. It probably just a loose connection.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
Did you measure the voltage at the battery before and/or after the repair?
What does the odometer display?
Do your four way flashers work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Before the Alt. change the battery was reading 17-18 volts at the posts
when running after the change the battery reads 13.2 when running the odometer is stuck ant 94,[:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)] miles and won't count up. Flashers do not work at this time.

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
And the car runs normally otherwise? That's a shockingly high voltage (excuse the pun). You may have possibly done damage to some electrical components (like the instrument cluster). If the car runs OK, ECU damage shouldn't be an issue.
The flasher unit is contained within the indicator stalk, iirc. Any chance of swapping with a known good unit to test?
I'd deal with the cluster/VSS issue separately.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm BlueDemon's brother (owner of the SVT). Car runs fine, in fact, I drove it to autozone today to have the check engine light tested. Showed a code for the MAF and the MAP. Does this sound like a fried ECU?

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
No. Car wouldn't run at all if the ECU was non-functional. You may damaged some electrical components/sensors with the high voltage. I've never heard of a digital odometer getting "stuck". Usually the odo displays "------" when problems are present.

Personally, I'd note down the codes, clear them by disconnecting the battery, clean the battery terminals/posts while you're there and then see which codes reappear consistently.

You can use the following to do some tests on the MAF if the code reappears:
http://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford_maf/maf_sensor_ford_1.php

·
Registered
110 Posts
Reset the ECU by unplugging the negative battery cable and leaving it off for about an hour. Started it up and no check engine light. I will be testing some switches on the SVT by using them of my ZX3. I post what I find...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts