Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so this has been on going problem the car will be dead in the morning or when driving i will start to lose instrument cluster. I have replaced alternator and replaced a bad looking battery cable. Now i have also had my check engine light on for about 3 months now before you say idiot i know exactly what it is and check it often its the first O2 sensor heres the thing i have replaced it TWICE!!! still getting check engine now im starting to think its all electrical related. Im at a total loss could it be shorting? or is it the ECU? or what i have no ideas anything at this point would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
You're losing power SOMEWHERE....

Cables & connections is the FIRST step recommended, as MOST of the problems fall into this area...

BUT - going dead overnight is a hint that SOMETHING is drawing more power than it should, even when the car is "off".

UNLESS your battery is on it's "last legs"... - was THAT tested??

Next step requires a "multimeter" so you can check draw on the battery with the car off.

Disconnect a battery cable, hook up the meter to check amperage draw (between the battery & the terminal you removed) - then start pulling fuses 'till you find the circuit with the excess draw... THAT will at LEAST give you a hint where to start looking for the issue...

Luck!

(BTW - a "dirty" battery & terminals CAN discharge itself overnight, so start there if you haven't already...)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BRILLIANT!!!!! Yes we tested battery already yeah i was going to just start looking but that will be what i do thank alot i will keep you updated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts