Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we put a new alternator in my focus 4 months ago, about a month after replacing the alternator, my husband was driving home and the wipers, dash lights, and radio started going crazy on and off then the car died. we had it towed home, my husband then replaced 6 fuses under the dash that had blown, Put a new battery and new terminals and the only thing that works is the horn, the headlights, a few dash lights, and the wipers. the power windows and locks dont work and the radio wont come on, there is also no noise whatsoever when the key is turned but the rear wipers wont shut off :( we are at a loss with what could be wrong and have been searching everywhere online to find the problem. does anyone have any advice or information that could be helpful.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
Yuk! What a mess huh?

My first thought is; wires are chaffing and shorting out a couple/several circuits, causing all those fuses to blow. I would pull the battery out and do an extensive visual inspection of the wiring in the engine bay. One set of eyes doing this sometimes misses, so both of you try to find the bad, burned, ugly wires separately. Grab and move some of the wiring to get different views.

You might also consider checking wire health here->
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=323413

New aftermarket alternators will sometimes fail when still new. Alt pigtail might have splices that are defective. You might want to Re-splice or replace your Alt pigtail.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pco-5716pt/overview/

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
In your situation, to lessen further damage and to help in isolating the problem; it might be a good idea to temporarily remove some of the fuses that control accessories like Wipers, Brake Lights, Horn, Cig Lighter, Head Lights, Radio...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes. a mess to say the least, and frustrating, i miss my focus. i will have to try this. thank you. will post again if i need anything further. thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my first thought about the situation was: we just moved from new mexico shortly before this happened and the moisture got in there and messed with wires. i will definitely take a look at it tonight. thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts