Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question because I realize the options are essentially limitless but my new Focus has not 1 but 2 power outlets, as I'm sure most of yours do too, and I'm wondering what kind of gadgets, etc you guys are using in your Fords.

I use the USB connection to charge my phone so I haven't had much use for either outlet yet and because it came as part of the Sync connectivity package, well, I figure I'm missing out somehow. I figure there must be some popular devices out there that everybody else has in their cars that make use of these outlets for there to be one for the front passengers and one for the back.

What would you say are the most popular car accessories to make use of those outlets?

The only things that jump out at me are:

- An electric cooler for long trips.
- Keeping a laptop charged.
- Allowing a passenger to charge their phone while yours is charging.
- An air compressor for your tires, sporting equipment or camping air mattress.
- A video game device

Anything else relatively popular and worth picking up that'll make trips better? I know it's kind of a stupid question but I'm just curious how others utilize these outlets for day-to-day life and/or road trips.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS - If anybody has any links to any cool stuff (including some of the stuff mentioned above) please share. The more gadgets the better!

·
Registered
366 Posts
I like making and eating Waffles on the way to work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like making and eating Waffles on the way to work.
[8D]

Nice. I figured somebody would throw in some joke items but, no, seriously... what are some must-have plug-in gadgets that you use regularly in your vehicle? Every time I see that rear electrical outlet I wish it was a cup holder or some additional storage space and then I think, "Nah, I'll use that for something. People must be using these outlets for tons of stuff."

·
Banned
571 Posts
I haven't used mine yet. When I need to charge the iPhone, I just connect it via USB. I will use it to power my iPhone's GPS software through an FM connecting kit if the MFT ever fails.

Mmmm waffles

·
Banned
363 Posts
OK... I feel stupid, but I have been so preoccupied with the MFT issues I didn't even know that the car had outlets. Where are they located?

·
Banned
571 Posts
I don't know about your car. I have one in front of the cupholders and one for the rear seats behind the centre console.

·
Banned
363 Posts
I don't know about your car. I have one in front of the cupholders and one for the rear seats behind the centre console.
Well I "know" for certain I do not have one in the front of the cupholders in front.

I will have to check in the back.

Mine is an SEL sedan. What model do you have. (eta: nevermind... .that was a stupid question now that I look at your avatar_

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My common uses are:
- Power outlet for a standalone GPS
- Second phone charger (for my wife's phone while travelling)
Would you be willing to take a photo of your GPS set-up sometime? I posted the other GPS-related thread in the forum and I'm interested how Focus Users are using stand-alone GPS units given the location of the front outlet. I've seen some that come with little holders but usually those seem higher up on the dash.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Would you be willing to take a photo of your GPS set-up sometime? I posted the other GPS-related thread in the forum and I'm interested how Focus Users are using stand-alone GPS units given the location of the front outlet. I've seen some that come with little holders but usually those seem higher up on the dash.

Thanks in advance!
My GPS (Garmin) came with a suction cup holder and I stick it to the windshield right under the rear view mirror. When it's charging the cord hangs down and plugs into the front power outlet in the center console. I will try to get a photo.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is an easy way to hid the GPS cord. Use a fuse jumper (at the fuse box) in a socket that turns off with the car. Buy an accessory outlet from radioshack for less than $10. Run the wire through the dash to wherever you mount the gps. The best vehicle specific dash mounts are brodit proclip - $30+ but they work great.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I plugged my Android phone into one of the USB ports to charge it, and it did indeed start charging, but then the MFT screen complained that it didn't recognize the device.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts