Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys.

ok so i am having some electrical issues with my car.

when i drive usually on the freeway my lights will flicker hardcore on my car. the voltmeter on my CD player will go from like 13.7v(accounting for UDPs, thats about right) to like 9.0v. my speakers will get all staticy and my dash lights and headlights will flicker bad.

i have a new alternator that i installed in september. what could this be? could there be a massive draw? is there a short somewhere? could my battery be bad? any suggestions would be nice seeing as how i have no clue what to do.

sometimes the voltmeter on my CD player will go from 9.0 and then jump up to like 14.5-15.0. it just goes nutz. please help me. its starting to do it in the city.

-derrick

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
A reasonable first step is to check all the connections on the alternator and also on the batery for problems. I have seen cases where simply loosening, wiggling, and retightening the battery connections has solved similar problems. I would also check the ground connections and wires.

·
WhiteSTguy
5,390 Posts
could it be a bad ground? check your amps? or cap if you have them?

·
i wear no pants
17,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could be...i have no amps or caps....my sound system is incomplete.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
The fact that it is affecting your whole electrical system (lights, stereo = diff circuits, but all at the same time yes?) indicates a central supply issue. That your voltage jumps to 15v only leaves one device. The alternator/regulator (specifically the regulator but it's integrated with the alternator I believe). You can not be sure a bench test will show it bad if it's intermittent. Bad connections are resistive so I think you will find there 'right and tight'. Also: As we say at work, "What was the last thing we did before this started?" Get it corrected ASAP as those voltage fluctuations are not doing your computer any favors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts