Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
01 ZX3
Here are the symptoms:
Even when the car is off and the key removed, the parking light and dashboard are lite. I have to remove the headlight switch to turn it off. (the one that controls parking light, headlight and fog light).

This switch is not the issue, I got a used one and the symptoms are the same.

When I put the switch back on the harness, everything used to work: parking, low/high and fog. But now I have NO low beam and no fog light, only high beam and parking light.

Is there a tutorial on how to remove the dashboard so I can follow and inspect all the wires?
Does it say in the Haynes manual how to completely remove the dashboard?

Thanks

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
^ Yes.
I'd replace the stalk mounted switch before digging around in the dash wiring harness. It's easy to get to and replace. Perhaps you could pick up a used one for testing. They have been known to fail.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
OR, even MORE likely, you have the common issue of crossed wires in the umbilical to the hatch....

Inside the rubber protector for the wires that connect to the hatch, they tend to break, loose insulation, cross connect & cause multiple issues....

The driver's door connection also exhibits these problems....

I fixed ONE problem on my car just by disconnecting & reconnecting the driver's door harness (it was loose) & my WEIRD issues went away....

Luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the suggestion, already tried them all and no go.

I disconnected the wires from the low/high beam switch and the parking light stayed on even with the parking light and keys on the off position.

I disconnected the 2 harnesses in the back and the symptoms were the same.
I need to disconnect the harness from the junction box (the one on the driver side by your left foot) and see if the short is in there.

I tested all the fuses, they're all good.

A few month back the wires going to the rear right blinker melted (along some others); I replaced all that was damaged and I seem to recall the issue started at the same time (parking light staying on, but no issue high / low at the time).
I checked if disconnecting the harness (the one by your left foot) would solve this but it didn't, so I would remove the switch altogether when i didn't need the lights. I'll check again to be sure.

How much do you think it would cost to replace the electrical harness for the light at a mechanic? I'm almost afraid to ask...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm pretty sure the problem is under the dashboard where there is a gazillion wires. When i melted the rear harness, something must have also melted in the front at the same time causing the parking light to stay on. It probably melted the high/low also but not enough to cause a short at the time, but vibrations probably finished it off a few months later...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts