Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i still have the issue i have had that is keeping my focus as a parking spot holder

When the car is running with the ac on the voltage drops below 12v
what i have done

1) replaced battery $100
2) replaced alternator 3x, 2x were doa ( autozone ) 3rd one acts the exact same as the original $200
3) replaced pigtail
4) ran a 2gauge wire from alternator to possitive battery
5) ran a 2 gauge wire from trans to negative battery
6) cleaned all battery connections a few dozen times.
7) bought a gas can
8) typed this
9) praying for help
10) ? lets see if 10 can be filled with fixed car

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!![bash][repost][goofydrunk]

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well i do have one other problem i noticed kinda got told it cant be but its the only thing i have not addressed yet i have what i think is a low idle sometimes drops to like 600 rpms but usually like 750-775 for the most part with ac on pretty much the same with ac off now with the latest alternator i noticed that if i get the rpms up to about 1200-1300 i get 13v+ what items would make the idle not high enough if its not and i am noticing now its not raiseing the idle when i kick the ac on might just me being silly again maybe not please i bought this car and im still making payments on it ( financed it myself through bank) no warranty i got a few months outta the car and love the car just cant use it FML

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Does it have an underdrive crank pulley?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Does it have an underdrive crank pulley?
I agree, it sure seems like you have an under drive pulley.

The AC pulls a heavy load, and the fans are on at the same time. I've never checked mine, but I'd be willing to guess that at idle with the AC on I'm probably not much over battery voltage if at all.

Did you check your idle speed with the electronic odometer trick, or are you looking at a tach? Tachs can sometimes be off a bit, double check it with the electronic odometer trick.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
odo trick and obd2 scan tool

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Well if you're getting 13.5v or so at idle with the AC off, then that is good no matter what it does with the AC on. Tomorrow I have to do an AC job with a friend. I'll try to remember to bring my DMM with me so I can check my voltage at the battery with the AC and fans running. I'll bet it's 12. something.

You might be a little lower with the low idle problem you're experiencing. Fixing the PCV valve vacuum line should fix the low idle. If not, then move on to the IAC.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
well i'm still having problems with the car but this is odd.... last week i used the car brove it 300 miles or so was nice out did not need ac, car runs hot while on the highway but if i stop and start moving again it cools right off so not my main concern.

Main concern has been the alternator issues the whole way for the 300 miles voltage stayed around 13.6 went in the 11-12 era a few times i stopped ( the fans were on ) but then i did not use the car again today and it rained last night so i get in the car and fired up got 14.2 volts figured ok this is the max i usually get kinda odd the other day i was only getting 13.6 but hey ill take it. Now is where it really baffles me I get in the car after work it had just got done a huge downpour verry verry heavy rain for at least 30 mins. I get in the car and the whole way home i have 14.8v most steady i have ever seen the voltage also gets better i turn on the ac and wait for the fans to kick on and it stays above 13v except 2x where it dropped below 12.5. so um any thoughts?

thank you in advance for any help and tanks for the help so far :)

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
Maybe the brushes on the regulator just had to ware in?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well this is retarted ( looks for gas can ) & matches
this mornin i started the car 14.4 volts all the way to work
left work 14v
got home restarted went to 14.4
restarted 10x stayed at 14.4 fml

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well gonna pull the alternator again and take it in and have it checked

last night drove to moms and had 13ish
drove dome was 12.0 when started was 11.5 when i got home
restarted it and jumped to 13.6
started it this morning i got 14.1

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
took the alt out again and it passed with flying colors jumped up to 110 amps and 14.8 volts during tes but in car its another story.

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
1. Does your A/C work properly? Like, is the compressor running without any noise, is the air getting cold, that sort of thing?

2. Are you getting a CEL or Battery light?

3. 14.8 sounds a little high. This alternator might be overcharging and having the system cut it off to prevent frying wires.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ac works great cant use it tho cause it will kill battery
no noise no nothing
one thing i have noticed 2x is that i can be driving it and restart it then i will get a different voltage usually but if i drive it and restart it, get different voltage and restart it again the voltage stays the same only changes after its been driven awhile

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
It sounds like your voltage regulator is jacked up. That's what your odometer is reading off of and what trips the lights. It could be that the extra load from the A/C just makes it go all wonky. If you can, try and take the alternator somewhere they can load test it while it is still on the car.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i did that with the old alternator which had the same issues and it said the test stated the voltage regulator was faulty and the voltage regulator is in the alternator so i changed the alternator and i still have the same problem iv'e also replaced the pigtail connecting to the alternator and ran a 2 gauge? (<- thinks it was 2) wire from the alternator to the battery

·
Hatch Nation #136
2,043 Posts
Aftermarket alternators for Foci suck. I've seen people go through several before finding a good one.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yes this might be true but for it to act the same way as the original kinda makes it not look like the alt especially when it tests perfect.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
well i put the alt back and i sanded the hell outta everywhere a connection is made and i squeezed the battery terminals and sanded the f outta all their contacts and i just started it for about 5 minuited and i was getting 14.6 no ac and high 13's with ac but this car has done this to me in the past so i wont hold my breath it might just be because the brain has not fully programmed yet cross your fingers i wont lol ty for the help lets see how this goes ill drive it to work tomorrow and post

nvm was wrong never pressed ac button just had inside fans on car is at 13v and dropping im gonna let it run some and see how far it drops

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well this has gotten further towards the issues

yesterday re-installed alt got 14.6 v
ran it for like 30 mins kept the voltage
this mornin went to work had 14.2 volts [bigcry]
got done work started car got 13.8v [bigcry] [bigcry] [bigcry] [bigcry]
disconnected battery and waited 2 mins 14.6v [strongman]
put on ac 12.8 v [cheers]
by the time i got home it was giving 12.5v [???:)] <- with ac on