Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2005 2.0l duratech. im having an issue with my car. my car starts, but sometimes, not all the time, i'll be driving and my battery light will come on and certain things will stop working, like the other day was my a/c, today was the radio and gauges, but my battery tested fine and i took the positive terminal off the battery and the car kept running, so its not the alternator, im clueless on what else to check, none of the fuses are blown, and i figured if it was a relay it would either work or not work, not only work sometimes, so any help would be nice, thanks

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
"""""i took the positive terminal off the battery and the car kept running, so its not the alternator,""""

You are lucky, there are times when the cable does not make a connection to the battery and the alternator is ruined. Maybe the alternator is putting some voltage, enough to keep the car running, but not enough to charge the battery.
Go to Youtube and plug in these terms in search
battery alternator multimeter [also alternatively use voltmeter] maybe add testing
There will be any number of videos that will instruct how to test your alternator with a multimeter.
Get the cheapest multimeter that you can get
I use the Harbor Freight $3.00 special for my work. [I have several in my work truck]

Here is a good site that explains why you must NEVER disconnect the battery while the car is running.
It MIGHT blow your alternator
It MIGHT blow your ECU
http://www.troubleshooters.com/dont_disconnect_battery.htm

1 - 2 of 2 Posts