Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to you all, I'm new to the site but have a couple of Focuses in the Family. My 2005 developed a new issue. The fuel door light, Check engine, Battery, Air bag, door adjar lights all stay on. There is also no communication at the OBD plug. However the car starts and runs great. Also the odometer reading is just a bunch of ---------- Lines and the temp gauge is not working.I checked all grounds, fuses, and replaced the alternator as well, and nothing ???? any ideas[dunno]

·
Vince your Moderator
5,074 Posts
Check under the umbilical grommet that goes from the trunk lid to the body for and cracked/broken wiring. Repair those if you do.

Also check the main battery ground where it meets the fenderwell grounding point for any rust/corrosion. Take a wire wheel or sandpaper to both the fenderwell and the ground wire where is makes contact with the fenderwell. Make sure that both are shiny metal when you are done. Reattach and cover with Dielectric grease.

Post results.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well. Checked and cleaned all grounds. Truck wires were all cut, re spliced and soldered all of them. Door adjar light is now off. everything else is still lit up. I had another cluster from an o5. replaced it and it had the same exact lights on. I also checked all wires and plugs leading to ecm and the other box and cleaned them and also did a wiggle test on them and nothing. what is puzzling to me is why my code reader will not communicate with this car, and how all of this just started. I removed all of the seats and carpet and cleaned everything, put it all back together, drove it for a few days and then this problem came up. coincidence or cause? like i said, I retraced all of my steps and checked all of my connections and cleaned them all even under the center console. What a pain in the [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:(!]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: switched ECM and still had no comm. Tested wires from Data port to cluster to ECM and had continuity, have power and two grounds to the Data port
Every single thing works on the car, Alt is charging at 14.6, I even checked all the wires and plugs to the Ignition switch and still have the stupid cluster lights on. Only thing that works in the cluster is the turn signals, cluster night time lights and fuel gauge. I am to the point where I am going to take it behind the barn and put a bullet in its radiator to put it out of my misery. what else could it possibly be ?[?|]

·
DTC P0606
3,364 Posts
I removed all of the seats and carpet and cleaned everything, put it all back together, drove it for a few days and then this problem came up. coincidence or cause? like i said, I retraced all of my steps and checked all of my connections and cleaned them all even under the center console. What a pain in the [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:(!]
The wiring diagram I have for an '05 shows a computer data line circuit involving the PCM, instrument cluster, OBDII port (DLC), restraint control module and ABS module, when fitted. Shot in the dark, but strangely enough, the passenger seat weight sensor is tied into that circuit. Might want to check the under seat connections again, particularly passenger side.
Check fuse 48 for the DLC while you're at it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG ! what a nightmare. That was the problem, there was a wire that was grounding out in the plug. I guess I must have chafed it when i was putting the seats back in. Who would of thought ford would wire everything so backwards.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Damn nice! It's situations like this that make me glad we're part of such an awesome and helpful community.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANK you for all of your help, I already had a bullet loaded in the chamber to shoot this darn thing, now I like it again. could not have done it without your help. Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts