Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys and Gals,

I have a 2003 Focus with high mileage, 250k. It runs great but has just recently showed some issues.

1st service engine light came on - before I could check the codes it went off
2nd airbag light came on - went off next start
3rd radio periodically goes off - loses all power, no clock entire unit is dark
4th OD off light comes on - not shifting into overdrive - later it's ok
These symptoms repeat every now and then.

I did have a tech check codes when the tranny problem was happening, he thought maybe the pcm. (question is the pcm specific to the tranny so there are many pcms in the car? and the ecu is the main computer that they all connect to?)

Going back to the tech today to let him know about the other symptoms.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
The car has 1 PCM.
ECU = PCM.
ECU is not an acronym used on the Focus... at least not on the MK1 or MK2 models.

If your lucky, all those symptoms and faults could be related to the electrical charging system being messed up. I would disconnect and clean the battery terminal connections & the battery ground connection on the chassis & maybe the chassis connection-> to-> the engine/transmission.

Which engine on your car? Zetec or Duratec?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Battery terminals have been cleaned. Will work on the grounds next, not sure where the chassis connection to the engine/tranny is.

According to the manual the motor is 2.3 I4 PZEV

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
not sure where the chassis connection to the engine/tranny is.
Strange. I happen to have a pic of that connection, yellow stick is touching it. This pic was taken while the intake manifold was removed.

Other side of it connects where the battery ground/chassis point is; on drivers side front wheel well. -or it goes directly to the battery, I forgot.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Chassis ground right next to the battery is another to check/clean before digging deeper into individual issues.

·
Premium Member
21,256 Posts
That could be a supplemental ground problem. The supplementals, or chassis grounds go from the negative battery terminal to the chassis. One goes over to the under hood fuse box. There's a funny thing those will do under certain conditions. I had one of the individual wire terminals break at the battery terminal, and when I got in my car the wipers came on- wouldn't go off, the radio was on full blast- wouldn't turn down, and some other things I can't remember. My daughter laughed at me from the back seat. All I did was remove the 2 wires, crimp those little wires to one connector, and I was back on the road without any problems in 10 mins.

There is a known issue with hatchback Focis that you might want to look into. The wires rub off insulation inside the boot that connects the hatch wiring to the body. That can cause some freaky problems- not always limited to the rear of the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, the battery terminals have been cleaned & reinstalled. The grounds have had the same done. The gremlins continue. Air bag light was on for a while yesterday but went back off this morning. Radio volume has also stopped working.

Left signal stopped working last night as well but that was fixed with two new bulbs and a new light socket (side marker). The socket had shorted out. Could this have been causing the other electrical problems?

Could the radio volume be the same electrical problem or is there other possibilities for it? I will have to do some more research.

·
Registered
17,452 Posts
The radio volume can be the volume control itself, they commonly screw up but not changeable.

'My daughter laughed at me from the back seat.'

That would have to be a low point in the day............

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts