Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, i am confused on why everyone is bashing elec. turbos, i mean, no one has ever really discussed WHY they do not "work". in my mind it makes sense, a big enough motor pushing enough air into your intake, gives you a better boost right? if not let me know, i have found these little attachments online everywhere and am half tempted to get one and try it for myself. if someone can, let me know pros if any, and cons of these things. thanks

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Its pretty much the air is moving into your engine faster than the fan can blow it. unlike a supercahger which runs of your engine and matchs then exicdes the rate of air flow.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I think the last judgment I heard was that an external power source was required to push enough air to matter. The alt by itself wouldnt produce enough current, and a big enough alt would add drag to the engine. In theory, at least, it seems to chase itself in circles, I dont know how far anybody's actually chased the idea.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
What's being bashed are the electric turbos you see on eBay, which simply aren't big enough to to anything (glorified blow dryers). So you're right, a big enough fan could work.
There is one electric turbo set-up who's name escapes me (try searching the many other threads) but by cost along you'd be further ahead with a standard tubo set-up.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
Oh yeah, and the fueling isn't going to match the airflow.. Its that tune thing...LOL

They sound good on the surface, but they don't work.

·
Registered
666 Posts
mvhudson said:
What's being bashed are the electric turbos you see on eBay, which simply aren't big enough to to anything (glorified blow dryers). So you're right, a big enough fan could work.
There is one electric turbo set-up who's name escapes me (try searching the many other threads) but by cost along you'd be further ahead with a standard tubo set-up.
Knight Engineering perhaps? Same group the made the "Ice Man" intakes...(I pulled that one outta my butt, dont know how I remembered that, but I remember seeing a tiny picture of their kit on a V6 Eclipse)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts