·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Attachments

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
wow i get to be the first one on this!............ first of all both those products are complete garbage. You get what you pay for in the automotive world, if you want power you should stick with trusted companies and products recommended on this site.
You will probably get flamed but its not your fault if you dont know any better.....

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
since you are new... it's ok... but you will get flamed for this... NO they are crap.

·
Registered
744 Posts
While the idea of an electric turbo is nice.. the problem is that the fan that they give you is not powerful enough to give you the boost you need at higher (2500/3000 RPMS +). So as the fan spins and MAYBE gives you slight boost under lower RPMS ... as the engine goes faster the fan still spins at the same speed and becomes a hinderence to your air intake...

These only have 2 settings too... on and off... No changing in fan speed like a real turbo gives...

Its an intriguing idea however no one has come up with an electric turbo that can give the boost needed... or they just cost too much to make and require too much electrical power to pump air into the engine.

Nothing to flame about I don't think... I made the mistake once of wanting one but I researched why it won't work...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
Actually, there is an electric turbocharger that works, you'll have to search for it here. The catch is that it costs even more than an exhaust driven turbo...

Olivon, search for the eBay/scam thread/forum here - that's where you'll find the electric "turbocharger" fan, Turbonator, and other such garbage listed...

·
Registered
142 Posts
[gunfire] ebay

·
Obama Can't Gymkhana
8,569 Posts
^^Agreed... Dont flame him to hard hes new... Stick around and well help you learn more about modding and more about cars in general

HOW DARE THEY PUT THAT STUPID THING ON A SUBARU.. I WILL HURT THEM!!!!!!!!! poor subie :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
electrice trubo

Ok guys, the technology to electrically turbo charge a car is not really here yet. People don't realize how much power it takes to boost a car. I looked on another forum for turbos and got some numbers. Quoting 65ShelbyClone from theturboforum "a simple little 60 trim T3 turbo moving about 375cfm(~25lb/min) at 20psi is using about 23.4hp to do so. That equates to 17,456 watts or...get this.... 1,454.7 amps." That's a lot to ask of your cars battery. Now that there are some real numbers here, if you have ever worked on a swamp cooler, or a evaporative cooler, the blower motor in these, the one that blows all the air into your house is usually rated around 1/2hp, maybe 3/4hp. Now I have seen a electrical turbo that may work but it uses 3 starter motors, And used 3 batteries, So no, one of the little ebay fan motor will not work, if anything it will hurt your hp.

Reactions: BOOSTA

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info guys. I do have a list of mods that I will put into my car mostly from loudfocus' mods. I am only missing the tb, spark plugs and plug wires before I get a tune. But I don't know where to get a TB anymore(does anybody have an idea?). So I was wondering if the electric turbo is a good idea but did not realize that it does not change speed. Thanks joshfink for the explanation. I haven't got flamed yet although I know I should've seen it coming so thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
yes go to this page(its the BST page from this forum) http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24

And yes electric turbos or sc's dont work because it requires a lot of power to make enough boost, a 23 or 25 hp motor requires a lot of eletricity too(industry uses >400 volts and 1 ga wire i belive), plus the motor alone weights more than 100lbs, and thats the light industrial motors(ie the most technologically advanced), they are about 2 feet in diameter and are about 2 feet long I belive. Plus the design of the blades in the ebay special is not a compressor design its more of a fan design while when looking at a real turbo, the "blades" (not actually blades) actually compress instead of just push like the ebay special. tecnically if the ebay special worked so would placing your intake infront of the radiator fans.

·
Registered
11,906 Posts
I was going to flame you... but I didnt.

I watch a vid on one of the electric turbos... they claimed 6psi of boost... of course that was with the fan on and the engine off..........

There is NO magical e-bay product thats going to give you more power for under a couple of hundred bucks.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
[welcome] Ebay is full of these HP raising gimmicks from electric turbos, cyclones you put in your CAI to swirl the air around to chipsand stupid ass exhaust blow off valves. Be careful on there. Ebay hoewever does have some good thing to be found but you def did a good job on researching it first b4 u went and wasted ur money! [thumb]

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
They have a deal on Focus Central TBs right now over on Focaljet. Please come back to FocusFanatics though, this site is way better than that one!

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
^^Agreed... Dont flame him to hard hes new... Stick around and well help you learn more about modding and more about cars in general

HOW DARE THEY PUT THAT STUPID THING ON A SUBARU.. I WILL HURT THEM!!!!!!!!! poor subie :(
He's not new. He's been a member over a year.

HATE! HATE! HATE!

·
Registered
134 Posts
^^^Oh i that case, you freaking nOOb, why dont you spend the extra cash and do a twin electric turbo charged option. That will put you in the 10s for SURE. hahahaah

·
Premium Member
21,235 Posts
Actually, there is an electric turbocharger that works, you'll have to search for it here. The catch is that it costs even more than an exhaust driven turbo...
And here it is: http://www.boosthead.com/product.php

Absolutely not recommending this product for anyone in any situation, I'm merely showing it for the sake of knowledge. Ebay scam items are sometimes rooted in technology that has been actually researched and developed. The fruition of this idea is ludicrous though, you lug around a bunch of batteries to run the turbo, then recharge via house power. Although some car magazines have reviewed this product, I think it was Turbo, it's not worth investigating. $2500 gets you the turbo only, you're required to wire the switch and batteries. Copper isn't cheap any more, you might as well get a real turbo.

That link sucks, do a product search, for any vehicle, and it pulls up- it's called the ESC.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts