Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching for this online, and come across a few options. Before there were steering columns with integrated electric motors like the 2012 Focus, there were electric hydraulic pumps, and on some vehicles there still are.

Due to Ford's "only what's needed" alternator sizing, you'd be sure to have to fit a larger alternator. Ours is an FG6 IIRC, and upgraded models are available. I'd be more interested in discovering what other manufacturers, like Volvo, used as limit switches- or did the pump simply run all the time? For someone who has the old GM Hydro-boost systems, I'm sure that's really outstanding, no vacuum draw from the engine for anything, and you don't have to suffer the mechanical draw of the pump. For us (or me) we just want the power boost without boosting our arm muscles.

A good list of vehicles would be helpful. I know I found some guy on Ebay who was selling what I think are Citroen EPS hydraulic pumps for $350+ shipping, and stateside 05 Volvo S40 EPS pumps can be found for about the same price. Does anyone know of any other vehicles?

·
BodyKits=PantiesDrop
13,168 Posts
Interesting power but would the added draw from an upgraded alternator negate any power increases from deleting the p/s pump?

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting power but would the added draw from an upgraded alternator negate any power increases from deleting the p/s pump?
Not as much as a PS pump. The alternator is magnets spinning inside windings. To increase the output amperage of an alternator you need a physically larger alternator with more copper windings. The FG6 high output alternators I've seen are about $200, and are both slightly wider and longer. You'll have a little more weight on the shaft, but you're talking ounces. There's no increase in drag on an alternator from high current conditions to low current conditions. It makes the same energy whether you use it or not. Really what it does is keep the battery charged. The weak link in all of this is the VR, and a more capable VR would be needed as well.

It might not even require a larger battery, I'm not sure what the load of the motor is, and with good switching- draw could be kept off until needed. I think most of the time we're driving without turning anyway.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Alternators do not make the same power all the time. If you turn more loads on, you draw more current from the copper wires at the same voltage (that's the job of the voltage regulator). Now volts times current (amps) equal watts and 746 watts equal one horsepower. Without losses, if you're using 10 amps driving down the road, that's about 120 watts, unless you're running down your battery, that 120 watts is coming from the alternator; that's about 1/6 hp. I work with large diesel generators and we go from burning about 75 gallons per hour at no load to 325 gallons per hour at 4.5 megawatts (4,500,000 watts).

·
Registered
716 Posts
Alternators do not make the same power all the time. If you turn more loads on, you draw more current from the copper wires at the same voltage (that's the job of the voltage regulator). Now volts times current (amps) equal watts and 746 watts equal one horsepower. Without losses, if you're using 10 amps driving down the road, that's about 120 watts, unless you're running down your battery, that 120 watts is coming from the alternator; that's about 1/6 hp. I work with large diesel generators and we go from burning about 75 gallons per hour at no load to 325 gallons per hour at 4.5 megawatts (4,500,000 watts).
What he said. I hooked up a 65 amp alternator to a 3.5 hp. B&S and under load it would kill the engine. Ran fine with no load. I'm an electrician by trade so I know a little about generaors too. lol

·
Aurelius Pardus
26,535 Posts
why not install electric windings in your wheel hubs? there now you have 4 generators.

as far as an EHPS system, I don't see the power difference worth anything unless you were hypermiling... or trying to see if you could do it just because it would be interesting (knowing you that's exactly it. lol)

·
Registered
728 Posts
why not install electric windings in your wheel hubs? there now you have 4 generators.

as far as an EHPS system, I don't see the power difference worth anything unless you were hypermiling... or trying to see if you could do it just because it would be interesting (knowing you that's exactly it. lol)

I like the wheel suggestion

·
Registered
505 Posts
Electric windings in the hubs are going to increase drag on the wheels. There is no free lunch; just physics - energy can neither be created or destroyed, just transformed. Even turbochargers consume energy, if you could spin one without using the engine exhaust (allowing lower backpressure) you'd see even more horsepower gains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts