Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird. Start up my car to go to work this morning and get no fire. I was at home by myself at the time so I didn't have an extra set of eyes. I opened the hood and I smelled gas so I figured maybe somehow it was flooded. Killed the battery trying to start it after a few more tries. Got my boss to pick me up for another battery and I get it connected. Still no start. At this point, the wife is home and so I have her stand by the car and see if anything looks fishy. I turn the key and gas squirts out the fuel line. Basically, it's just resting on the fuel rail for the injectors. I'm no mechanic by any means, but is it possible just to replace the connector or do I have to install a whole new fuel line? Thanks in advance for the help everybody. uploadfromtaptalk1426362926807.jpg

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Connector only = nope, sorry.

The good news is... the fuel line is about 2 feet long; it has QD (quick disconnect) fittings, so replacing the whole line is easy. Push the milky tab down with thumb tip and wiggle the fitting off of the rail.

I assume you have disconnected it, and tried to re-seat it right?

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
If I'm seeing right in the center there, it looks like the white plastic clip for the connector is broken.

That looks similar to the fuel filter clips, so you may be able to find a replacement (even if you have to grab a pack of assorted ones).

Search around for fuel filter clip info., sources for replacements are prob. here somewhere. Or search parts store listings for similar.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
If I'm seeing right in the center there, it looks like the white plastic clip for the connector is broken.

That looks similar to the fuel filter clips,...
Might be broken... but my clips are the same; basically a "U" shape, so those broken-looking ends are actually normal. The Tab to push down is 180 on the other side.

Yeah, I think they are the same size as the ones on the fuel filter fittings.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
shucks, when he said it was just "sitting" on there I had hope...

Posted at the same time again!

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I forgot to mention, when that line is disconnected, there WILL be a burst/splash of gas. Disconnect with a towel covering or under it. It splashes even if the car was starved of fuel, i.e., pulling the fuel pump fuse while engine is running.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Connector only = nope, sorry.

The good news is... the fuel line is about 2 feet long; it has QD (quick disconnect) fittings, so replacing the whole line is easy. Push the milky tab down with thumb tip and wiggle the fitting off of the rail.

I pulled it off all the way to which I got the fuel gush. Lol...

That looks similar to the fuel filter clips, so you may be able to find a replacement (even if you have to grab a pack of assorted ones).

Search around for fuel filter clip info., sources for replacements are prob. here somewhere. Or search parts store listings for similar.
That's kind of what it looks like, I'll check out clip replacements, but the Ford dealership is open until noon tomorrow, so I might stop in and see if they have that fuel line segment in stock.

My next concern is why did it break in the first place. I haven't heard of frequent reports of this happening. I know all car parts fail eventually, just seems a bit random. Hopefully I'll get her back up and running tomorrow.

Thank you all for the responses. It's very appreciated. I replied sooner, but Tapatalk was acting up on my phone and made my reply vanish. [:(!]

·
Registered
17,168 Posts
There's a simple o-ring up inside the connector that if leaks will do that and change it with no need for new connector if connector body is not cracked.

AND, probably my eyes, but the pic showed there shows a vertical as picced line of white just to the immediate left of the black connector, it even cuts into the shadow of the line on the bottom. Meaning it appears the raised bead that the clip normally holds much further in is right at the end of connector, ergo, connector is about to fall off. If so all that's needed is a clip to most likely fix it after pushing the line all the way back in. Maybe yes, maybe no.

You can get the connectors by themselves from Dorman but installation requires a specialty tool costing like $100. Youtube shows a couple of vids on how to do it without that tool using an ordinary caulking gun to replace the special tool.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just doing some research and it appears that the only thing I need are just the fuel line retaining clips. The line itself is fine. No cracks from what I can tell. Sounds like finding the clips is going to be half the battle though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And just for reference, this is the clip pulled off of the line. Amazing that this is what holds the fuel delivery system together.... Time to go shopping.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
1 - 14 of 14 Posts