Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have the eibach springs and i used to have 17's but they rubed so much that an entire set of tires were bald at 10,000 miles. is there anything i can do to the suspention to make the tires not rub? like adding proformance struts? would the SVT struts help? thanks

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Were your tires wearing due to actual rubbing or alignment issues. Rubbing you should have heard. The solutions are different for both problems so confirmation of what caused the wear in needed.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it rubed when 2-4 people were in the car and went over any type of bump. you would hear it hit the inside of the wheel well

·
Banned
4,483 Posts
that doesn't cause any tire destruction, its your alignment......

what you described is just an embarrassing sound when your tire touches the inner fender well lining.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
i would think that tires constantly rubbing like that against ANYTHING would cuase them to go bald...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
I think it would wear out the inner fender well first...lol...

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
My guess is that the rubbing occured because the offset of the wheels was incorrect and that was magnified by the shorter springs. If the Eibachs were sportlines its quite likely you also had an excess camber problem. That's what caused most of the tire wear especially if the wear occured on the inside tread of the tire. The bottoming out could have been exasperated by using the wrong or an old shock. I'm guessing you put the springs on without updating the shocks. That's a fairly common mistake. The SVT springs and shocks are a nice option. They may not, however, correct rubbing of a wheel with the wrong offset. Do you know what offset your 17" wheels are?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no i dont....how would i find this out?
also i was thinking about puting on the SVT shocks since i have the eibach springs....would this fit my problem??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts