Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im looking at getting springs for my 2014 SE hatch and was wondering if the ST springs would fit. I can only find the ST springs and would love to get those cause the price is awesome.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I don't believe ST springs fit.

You'll need 2013 front struts, and the 12/13 spring kits work.

Do a search on 2014 springs, and you'll see the history and details. Lots of previous discussions and experiences on here, pretty well detailed.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
^^^ Yup

More threads on the same subject in Brakes, Suspension & Chassis

·
Registered
83 Posts
So im looking at getting springs for my 2014 SE hatch and was wondering if the ST springs would fit. I can only find the ST springs and would love to get those cause the price is awesome.
ST springs WILL fit, as long as they are the springs DESIGNED for the 2014 ST. Cobb and Steeda both make springs specific to the 2014 ST, but I'm unsure of Eibach. I have personally talked with Steeda, and they confirmed that they successfully installed their 2014 ST springs on a 2014 SE. They didn't give me drop measurements, but they installed just fine. 2013 ST springs should also fit 2012-13 SE's, and 2014-specific ST springs (again, Cobb/Steeda) will fit the 2014 SE. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I'd get drop measurements before purchasing, if so, since you don't want to spend the money and do the work thinking 1.5 drop, and wind up with .5!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, I should have also mentioned that if you're talking STOCK ST springs, you're drop won't be much, probably less than an inch. If you're going to an aftermarket spring, bet on around 1.5" minimum. Post on the WTB section that you are looking for some stock '14 ST springs. Someone's gonna have some sooner or later. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ST springs WILL fit, as long as they are the springs DESIGNED for the 2014 ST. Cobb and Steeda both make springs specific to the 2014 ST, but I'm unsure of Eibach. I have personally talked with Steeda, and they confirmed that they successfully installed their 2014 ST springs on a 2014 SE. They didn't give me drop measurements, but they installed just fine. 2013 ST springs should also fit 2012-13 SE's, and 2014-specific ST springs (again, Cobb/Steeda) will fit the 2014 SE. Hope this helps.
That does help a lot man thanks!

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I would take this with a grain of salt. Until I see that confirmation, I am not buying it. The ST and SE rear suspensions are completely different suspensions. SE is Fully independent Control Blade SLA with stabilizer bar. The ST is Independent short-and-long arm (SLA) with one upper and two lower control arms. Others here have verified this on the forum. It has been like this since 2012. The Front has changed a bit in the 14's but like I said, the rear story remains the same.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
It had prev. been mentioned that ST springs weren't an option for a swap, could have been wrong but I haven't seen it mentioned as being done yet.

Searching a bit for confirmation might be smart.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
It had prev. been mentioned that ST springs weren't an option for a swap, could have been wrong but I haven't seen it mentioned as being done yet.

Searching a bit for confirmation might be smart.
Duane reiterated this same thing a month back. It has been covered a bit now. If the rear was interchangeable, people would be all over this site saying so. That guy above is the first I hear that ever says it.
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465825

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Yeah, if ST pieces were as swappable as SVT ones were there'd be a lot more use of them.

I helped with some of the research here on why '12-'13 springs wouldn't fit the '14's, took a while to get that figured as some of the info. posted didn't help. At least we've got that difference figured well now (strut/spring change).

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I helped with some of the research here on why '12-'13 springs wouldn't fit the '14's, took a while to get that figured as some of the info. posted didn't help. At least we've got that difference figured well now (strut/spring change).
Yeah I remember that. Caught everyone off guard haha It was like Ford was trollin us

·
Registered
368 Posts
The ST and SE rear suspensions are completely different suspensions. SE is Fully independent Control Blade SLA with stabilizer bar. The ST is Independent short-and-long arm (SLA) with one upper and two lower control arms.
Not correct.

Both cars have a Control Blade type rear suspension. The ST execution is a little bit different - primarily with the stabilizer bar attached directly to the (cast) knuckle and the shock being shortened and attached higher up on the knuckle to make room for the aforementioned stabilizer bar.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Not correct.

Both cars have a Control Blade type rear suspension. The ST execution is a little bit different with the stabilizer bar attached directly to the (cast) knuckle and the shock being shortened and attached higher up on the knuckle to make room for the aforementioned stabilizer bar.
How is it not correct? I literally got that from Fords website. You said the ST execution is a bit different. So you literally just proved with that point alone that I was correct. Here is a great explanation by a long time Forum member and Focus SE and ST owner suss6052

2012 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback rear spring and perch.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2012-ford-focus-titanium-suspension-walkaround.html

A big difference is in the rear stabilizer bar mounting and the different size of the springs.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2013-ford-focus-st-suspension-walkaround.html

·
Registered
368 Posts
The ST and SE rear suspensions are completely different suspensions. SE is Fully independent Control Blade SLA with stabilizer bar. The ST is Independent short-and-long arm (SLA) with one upper and two lower control arms.
Describing one is an "Fully independent Control Blade SLA with stabilizer bar" while the other is an "Independent short-and-long arm (SLA) with one upper and two lower control arms" gives a false impression they are two completely different types of rear suspension.

They are both the same type of suspension: Control Blade.

They both have a control blade/knuckle. They both have a single upper camber link. They both have a lower lateral link with spring. They both have a lower toe link.

They may not share the exact same parts, but both have the exact same number and arrangement of suspension links that serve the exact same functions.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Describing one is an "Fully independent Control Blade SLA with stabilizer bar" while the other is an "Independent short-and-long arm (SLA) with one upper and two lower control arms" gives a false impression they are two completely different types of rear suspension.

They are both the same type of suspension: Control Blade.

They both have a control blade/knuckle. They both have a single upper camber link. They both have a lower lateral link with spring. They both have a lower toe link.

They may not share the exact same parts, but both have the exact same number and arrangement of suspension links that serve the exact same functions.
Same type, but they aren't the same are they? The point is still the same. The springs from an ST will not fit an SE.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
Sure. But at least call a spade a spade.... and a Control Blade a Control Blade. [:)]
Fine you win this one time [poke]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts