Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This subject has probably been covered, but bear with me.[8]

Is it sensible to change springs to Eibach Pro-kit springs and leave the stock dampers in place?
I'm trying to accomplish improved handling somewhat, in corners, but not at the expense of a supple ride. Also, improved looks. Bottom line is slight to moderate improvement, not extream.

I've heard I'll put more wear on the stock dampers, but that is not a concern. What concerns me is the type of ride I can expect. Also, will application of the Eibach springs allow for proper alignment of both front and rear wheels?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Jake:
Some people may argue that what I did may not be the best thing, but I installed the Eibach Pro springs (1.5 inch drop) only. I know that the dampers will have a shorter lifespan, but I've put almost 5k miles on the car and they seem to be working fine and holding together well.
The ride is a bit more stiff, but nothing that is really noticable. It does tend to hit the compression limits more often, but since I've driven lowered cars most of my life it is easy to deal with. The car handles better now, but there is still noticable body roll. It seems to turn in better. Looks much better with less wheel gap but does not have the slammed look.
I was able to have my local shop bring the alignment back to factory specs without the use of the camber plates.
I am glad I did it, although I expect that I will have to replace the dampers quicker than normal.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great.
What type of questions should I be asking the shop who installs them to make sure they know what they are doing? What type of price should I be paying? Also, do the camber plates come with the springs or are they additional?
Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got my Prokit installed for $340. This included parts, labor, and alignment

So, HotFocus, from the price, it sounds like you left the factory dampers in place, yes?

If, so, what do you think of the ride quality?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Your ride WILL suck eventually. I did this, but with the stock S2 dampers, which are stiffer, and after a year and a half it's pretty bouncy. I'll be getting dampers in the very near future.

·
Registered
793 Posts
I have sprint springs with a linear spring rate which are really stiff (1.8" drop). Ive had them on for 20k miles and I havent seen any negative effects on my stock zx3 dampers. I agree that a lowered suspension is harder on dampers, but I disagree with it being a drastic negative effect, it will prolly shorten the life some, but nothing drastic. Its not even worth talking about. In response to Nliiitend1's issue, Eibach springs have a progressive spring rate so they arent nearly as stiff as a linear spring and they end up letting the dampers take most of the shock because when hit they still flex a lot so the ride feels softer. On my springs for example, being linear they hit hard on bumps and the spring takes more of the hit since its stiffer so they dampers dont get as much shock. I dont think I lost much ride quality at all with these springs, yeah its a little stiffer and you feel bumps a little more, but its not that bad at all, I would choose something other than Eibach if you arent looking to replace your dampers with aftermarket or are going to keep them stock

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I love mine...went with the 1.5" drop and never regretted it......It was well worth the money spent as I could fell the effects immediatly....

Trust me....been driving stock suspension for 2 years.....I felt a great improvement with the Pro Kit setup.......Gonna put some 17" and my ride is gonna look sick........:)

Peace...

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Jake-

I'd expect to pay no more than $80 for a shop to align your car. Some places can do it a lot cheaper, but the more expensive places usually have the better equipment (in other words, you get what you pay for). if it helps you out at all, the general consensus is that any drop more than about 1.6-1.8" will require extra hardware (camber kits) to get the alignment back into spec. otherwise, the car can be aligned just with the stock hardware. i'd let the shop know ahead of time that the car is dropped. some shops won't touch them no matter how mild the drop. others will, but won't warranty it. ideally, you'd want a shop that will not only do the work but will warranty it as well. they're hard to find, but if you find a one it's probably you're best bet.

Mike

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks fellas. Actually, I've heard good things about Sprint springs. Their stiffness scares me a bit, though, to be fair, I've also heard that unless you put a load on them they ride nice.
I'll prob go with the Eibachs ( so the car parts can speak German to ea. other, well, at least it should be their mother tonque.) Plus, a more moderate drop than Sprint. I definitely want to take the time and find a knowledgeable shop that will guarrantee their work.

·
Registered
126 Posts
EuroZX3Focus said:
I have sprint springs with a linear spring rate which are really stiff (1.8" drop). Ive had them on for 20k miles and I havent seen any negative effects on my stock zx3 dampers. I agree that a lowered suspension is harder on dampers, but I disagree with it being a drastic negative effect, it will prolly shorten the life some, but nothing drastic. Its not even worth talking about. In response to Nliiitend1's issue, Eibach springs have a progressive spring rate so they arent nearly as stiff as a linear spring and they end up letting the dampers take most of the shock because when hit they still flex a lot so the ride feels softer. On my springs for example, being linear they hit hard on bumps and the spring takes more of the hit since its stiffer so they dampers dont get as much shock. I dont think I lost much ride quality at all with these springs, yeah its a little stiffer and you feel bumps a little more, but its not that bad at all, I would choose something other than Eibach if you arent looking to replace your dampers with aftermarket or are going to keep them stock
The Pro-Kit springs are not progressive. They are linear. The Sportlines are progressive, however. You WILL run into issues with any lowered suspension on stock dampers because of the difference in length. It's just a matter of time. If you're lucky, your stock dampers will last one, MAYBE two years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nliiitend1 said:
The Pro-Kit springs are not progressive. They are linear. The Sportlines are progressive, however. You WILL run into issues with any lowered suspension on stock dampers because of the difference in length. It's just a matter of time. If you're lucky, your stock dampers will last one, MAYBE two years.
Really? The prokit are linear and the sporlines are progressive? Is this for all cars or just the focus? Not that i dont trust you but where can i find out more info about this or can anybody else confirm this?
Oh and i have another question. Does the 4-door SE use the same eibach springs as the 3 doors aka zx3 ? Thanks!

·
Registered
580 Posts
pro-system plus & sport-system plus

not sure if this is a fantastic price, but i was just checking out the batinc catalogue pdf and they have the "pro-system plus" which is: pro-kit springs, + anti-rolls front & back + new struts & shocks for $692.

i've seen the "sport-system plus" elsewhere for 665. take your pick, it seems to be everything you need.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I installed Progress 1.8" progressive springs about 2 months ago, i love the look. The only bad part is the ride is pretty rough, i don't mind it by my girlfriend can't stand it. Of course I roll on low profile 40's on 17x7 wheels which doesn't help. In the spring i'm getting a full alignment, new tires, new rims, and Definetly new struts/shocks. My rear camber is extremely off balance too after a 1.8in drop. I guess every car is different, but my ride is definetly rough and bouncy.

·
Registered
580 Posts
i've read that the camber can be corrected up to 2" of drop, but over that you can't adjust it enough unless you change out larger pieces of the suspension (that would dramatically alter the geometry of the compressing wheel)

the eibach pro-kit drops 1.4/1.5 front/rear so the camber should be correctable via an alignment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts