Focus Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the springs this weekend, it was fairly easy except there isn't much room to compress the front springs while they are in the car but we got it. Back springs don't even need to be compressed with spring compressors.

I used the stock shocks and they seem to be working out great.

Ride quality is very nice and sporty when you want it to be. I'm not a fan of lowering to race levels so the 1.5 inch drop was perfect. I purchased a CRX once with tires up in the fender well and 3 engine mounts were cracked (shocker) and another friend's engine mount actually broke from being bounced around too much.

The install didn't need a camber kit and my alignment was still good afterwards.

I took pictures of each step with the intent on making an install guide since I could not find a decent one on the Internet... there are a couple of tricks I'd like to pass on.

I'd highly reccomend these springs even on the stock shocks which I might have to replace in a couple years, the car sits perfectly and comfort is barely sacrificed for the performance gains which include hardly noticable nose dive under hard breaking, quick weight transfers and reduced understeer in quick cornering.

Install guide is currently under way, the simplicity of the rear end install makes it more than worth it to 'DIY' and not pay some monkey to leave a bolt loose and charge you $200 for 2 hours.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
why did you compress the front springs while they were still in the car? jack up the car, take the wheel off, take off the 3 bolts holding the top plate that are underneath the hood, unbolt the lower mount and the sway, unhook the brake line, and pull everything out. THEN use the spring compressor to compress the spring to a safe amount so that you can take off the top plate.

glad to hear you like the kit. i think 1.5" is a good height to drop the focus. looks good while not screwing up geometry and making it immpossiblt to get over speed bumps.

Mike

·
Registered
21 Posts
Pro-kit install

When I installed my Pro-kit springs a couple months ago I had to get the compressors on the front right spring while it was still in the car to be able to get enough clearance to free the strut from the lower mount. Didn't have to do it on the left front. Thought that was a bit odd, but chalked it up to being a minor hurdle, and went on without thinking about it twice.
I kept by stock dampers just like you eggyolk and have not had any issues at all,...yet.
Love 'em.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
i just used a rubber mallet and tapped gently on the lower mount (not sure if this was the best idea, but my instructions were in german so i kinda winged it). came out no problem. anywho, i guess i understand why you would have to do it now.

Mike

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strange, there was no way in hell that thing was coming out, or going back in unless it was compressed already. Maybe if I took off more of the suspension it would have... but maybe that's why I didn't need an alignment.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I installed the Eibach myself, jacked the car up and took out the springs without needing to compress them while they were still on the car. Everything was straight forward and wasn't very difficult........the front sway bar was a bitch and a half though. Like you said EGGYOLK.....ride quality is awesome!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts