Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, i'm about to pick up some used ground control coilovers. the fronts are still mounted to some motorcraft shocks. I ran the parts number on the shocks and they were off of a 2000-2004 zx3, so i know these will work on my 2005 zx4 ST. i won't be using these motorcrafts or my stock shocks and struts. I haven't really decided what i'll be going with yet if i do end up picking these up. i was just hoping maybe one of you can help me out with the part# and other markings on the springs. Both the front and rear springs have the #36419 and 0600.250.0450 on them. shouldn't the front and rear have different markings to indicate different springs rates and what not? thanks for the help guys. maybe someone with similar ground controls can look at their markings.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
The last number in the serial/part number is the spring rate for Ground Control Eibachs. In this case 450 lbs/inch. You'll need some very serious shocks and springs for that kind of spring rate, something like Koni Sports.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was actually leaning towards koni yellows. 450lbs for the front and rear though? Don't most set ups have stiffer springs for the rear?

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
I Don't most set ups have stiffer springs for the rear?

Most do when the spring rates are lower. Once they start getting really high its not unusual to see them balanced and then fine tuning for loosening or tightening the car is done with sway bars, adjustable shock damping, or corner weighting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome info. So I ended up picking the coilovers up today. Now I'm debating between the koni yellows or kyb agx. I know I'm better off with the koni's but I can save some pocket change if I go with the agx's. Can the agx's hang with the 450lbs spring rate? Also, what's the deal with the agx's being advertised for 00-05 focii except svt and wagon models. Shouldnt they work with svt's? Or do they have stiffer shocks and struts for svt models? If so, I can't find em' anywhere!!! :eek:

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Those springs rates will tax the AGX's plus the AGX's are not really made for the significant drops the Ground Control system is capable of. The Koni's are expensive, but they will do the job right the first time. Why gamble on having to replace the shocks again should the AGX's prematurely fail or are not up to the damping task? Serious spring rates require serious shocks and Koni's meet those requirements. And yes, any spring/shock for an 00 to 05 focus (except wagons which use a different rear shock and spring) should fit an SVT and vice versa.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
---edit---

·
slow
1,734 Posts
I was actually leaning towards koni yellows. 450lbs for the front and rear though? Don't most set ups have stiffer springs for the rear?
Most ground control setups I've seen have been spec'd with 450lb springs all around. The springs themselves are in standard off the shelf dimensions, so you can pretty much swap them for whatever rate you wanted from eibach or spring mfg of choice.

I would definitely go with koni yellows. In fact, you could even have the yellows revalved to work even better with your ride height and spring rate. Note that you can't get them from koni this way, you would take your dampers to a 3rd party. Just a thought for down the road with this setup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts