Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey-

just thought i'd throw a quick review of my newest focus toy up here. this weekend i installed a set of eibach anti-roll bars. the front measures 22mm and the rear is a beefy 25mm. cost about $265 shipped from tirerack.com and was here in 2 days!

first, the install. the front bar is nothing short of the biggest PITA i have ever tackled on this car! nothing is horribly difficult to understand about it. in fact, eibach includes a nice ste of instructions with pictures that make it pretty darn easy. the hard part is trying to break the 6 bolts free that hold the cross member while on your back with about 6" if space above you and a jack that's holding the crossmember banging against you with every turn (yeah, a lift would have really helped!). after that, you have to battle with the bolts that hold the sway bar to the cross member. after nearly rounding two of them, i finally realized that the bolt wasn't a 13mm head but a 1/2" head (well, kinda. the threads were definetely metric, but the 13mm was sloppy on the head. 1/2" was nice and tight). aside from that, i also had to battle these bolts in a very limited space. undoing the end links helped free up some room, but it still was a giant pain. the rear bar was cake. my roommate had it installed in the time it took me to finish tighteneing the cross member back up and re-installing the end links. but all the work was worth it.

we took the car out on a test run after we finished. just pulling out of the driveway you could feel the difference, but i wasn't about to be happy with just a quick run around the block. there's a twisty mountain road just down the street from my house, so we decided to take it out and see what we could do. it was dark and there are a lot of blind turns, so i wasn't going to crazy, but i could still feel the improvements immediately. first of all, body roll has essentially ceased to exist on my car. it was drastically reduced back when i put on my FK 35/40 kit, but now it just doesn't roll. period. now all i need is some better restraints to hold me in place. aside from the body roll, turn-in was drastically improved. we all know the focus has pretty nimble turning charcteristics to begin with, but these bars make it downright scary. the second you even think about turning the wheel, the car snaps to the line you choose. once you stop the turn, it snaps back. there is no waiting for weight transfer. i started fooling around with the car on a straight stretch by swerving to the left and snapping it back to the right, and the speed and precision with which the car followed my every move was just downright scary!

lastly, the real fun part. no more under-steer! i decided to test this by hitting a corner way too hard on the mountain road. normally when i hit a corner to fast, the car just under-steers. i sterr one way and the car would keep going straight. not now! i hit that corner hard and the ass just kicked out! perfect drift. it almost felt like i was driving a RWD car again. i'll admit it scared the hell out of me, but some more practice should have me slipping all over the place in no time.

in all, i would HIGHLY recommend this setup. the car is still very streetable, but i do feel a lot more of the road through the wheel now. if you're at all intimidated by doing a front bar, you may want to look into having a shop do it, but the results are well worth it. although my suspension setup is FK and not eibach, the parts seem to work well with one another. i can't wait to do some autox this summer and see what it can really do!

Mike

·
Registered
126 Posts
nice review man, im ordering mine 2 morrow

·
Registered
386 Posts
sounds awesome bud. I want to get mine and get back into drifting =D....the 300ZX days.. -=sigh=-

·
Registered
386 Posts
Where did you guys find the best prices for this? And what would be a good price for these eibach anti-roll bars?

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
....and BATInc delivers..........:

I think my suspension set-up for my Focus is now complete.....I'll give impressions when I install it.....whenever it decides to be sunny again............:)

Peace.................

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Eibach anti-roll kit is absolutely changes the car. It is one of the best suspension mods I ever made. I highly recommend it.

PM or email me for prices on this suspension stuff. I can beat most peoples prices pretty easily.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Think this is going to be my next mod. need to clean up that body roll.. then I'll have the same suspension as you :)

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Hey WhiteBoy.....got any advice before starting to install my sway bars.......specially for the front.

Any advice will be appreciated.......

Peace..............

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well, if you have access to any sort of lift... DO IT!!!!

you'll need to get that car in the air high enough to comfortably work on it. keep in mind that the whole cross member is going to hang down about 1.5-2" as well, so make some room for that.

read through the instructions eibach sent with the bars a few times before you actually start. don't go in blind.

i used a jack and a piece of wood to support the cross member while i was underneath (i know, i know. jack's arent meant to support for long periods of time). if you do the same (which i suggest), think about the placement of the jack before you start. if i had to do it again, i'd face the jack so that the handle-end was facing the back of the car and out of my way.

check and double-check the size of the bolt before you go to loosen it. the bolts for the center supports (aka the PITA ones) are kinda sloppy on a 13mm but uber-tight on a 1/2" (if i remember right. makes sense since 1/2"=12.7mm roughly). i nearly rounded off a couple before i figured that one out.

like i said, the procedure is pretty self-explanatory. it's just tough. those bolts are hard to get to no matter how you try.

just remember.... the end result is worth it!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Sounds good man....do you think that stands that start at 11" up to 17" will do the job???

And where should I put the jack when it says to lift it from the sub-frame?......is that the piece with the 4 bolts at the begining?.......

Peace........

1 - 20 of 25 Posts