Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI All,

I have a 2001 Zetec engine and I got the 'Check Engine' on. I used an OBD code reader on it and I got back error: P0402. The description of the code says:" Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected " and a friend advised me to check the EGR valve. Problem is I can't locate it. Does anyone knows were it should be?
Any other things I should check?

Thanks a bunch
david

·
Registered
525 Posts
do i have to?

You won't get a full view of the "sea of orange"

I'll change it in a couple days....people can scroll, right?

·
Registered
103 Posts
does your car kinda run funny? (stumbling while cruising at a constant speed, loss of power in top end?) it may be a dpfe sensor.

bartek

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
tonuscdc said:
HI All,

I have a 2001 Zetec engine and I got the 'Check Engine' on. I used an OBD code reader on it and I got back error: P0402. The description of the code says:" Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Excessive Detected " and a friend advised me to check the EGR valve. Problem is I can't locate it. Does anyone knows were it should be?
Any other things I should check?

Thanks a bunch
david
i had that same code thrown it's not the EGR valve it's the DPFE sensor go to ford and buy one i got mine for $35 take 2mins to change

·
Registered
793 Posts
i cant find the dpfe for that cheap, let me know where u got urs i found it for 68... from ford parts... please pm solaris!

·
Registered
103 Posts
i got mine at fordnewparts.com for about 50 bucks plus free shipping

·
Registered
793 Posts
thanks man

·
Registered
793 Posts
nah man at that site its 65...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey all,

My engine light just came on the other day and I got the P0402 code. From this thread it sounds like the problem is always a bad DPFE sensor. Is there a way to test the sensor and is there anything else that could cause excessive EGR flow? I just don't want to replace a $70 part to find out the problem is something else.

Thanks,
Brent

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Brent,

I have the same problem in my ZX3.I just replaced the EGR solenoid and it didn't fix it.I get no vacum to the EGR valve.Does the DPFE sensor control the EGR solenoid? Is it the sensor right on the EGR tubes? If it's a switch I'm going to apply vacuum to the EGR valve and see if it does switch.
If i disconnect the vacuum line to the EGR valve it runs great.The check engine will stay on though.

Ted

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey tbarrett,

Just wanted to let you know I procrastinated on the problem and my engine light went back off a few days ago and hasn't come back on. The manual says this error can be due to bad gas so it may go away on its own after a short time. After a couple days of new gas I thought the problem would have gone away, but now, after about 2 weeks with new gas it seems to have cleared the problem.

Brent

·
Registered
59 Posts
Don't y'all have warranties? I had that issue a while back. Check engine light, car stuttered around 40mph in top gear. I brought it in; they replaced my DPFE sensor, which is indeed part of the EGR system, and it cost me $0.00. Check to see if there's a recall on it. Somehow I vaguely remember Ford issuing a recall after I already got mine fixed.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I got my DPFE sensor today, ordered from http://fordnewparts.com as well, they did not have the exact part number so they sent me a replacement for 16$.
I called them and they said its identical except for the part number being different and that it should do the job.

Now the problem is, is this DPFE sensor something that I can install myself?
I opened the hood to look at the engine and from the top I can not locate anything similar to the DPFE sensor I received, anyone has a clue here if this is something I can just hook up and go?

Thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
where can I find the sensor?
I am a very fast starter if you can point me in the right direction :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts