Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My focus was losing power when up to temperature and I got the following error codes using Forscan:

P1412-60 - EGR valve frozen

P0490-20 - EGR Circuit high

P042F-40 - EGR Stuck closed

P042F-C - EGR stuck closed

So, I brought it to the garage and they fitted a new EGR valve - Haas I believe.

A few days later on my long trip to work, when the car was up to full temperature after about 10km, I lost power again. No power boost, as if the turbo is not kicking in.

Switching off the ignition and immediately restarting the car seems to temporarily fix the problem. However, using Forscan I noticed more error codes:

P042F-20 - EGR stuck closed

P0490-20 - EGR circuit high

P042F-P - EGR switch closed

So, using Forscan, I reset the EGR learned values and temperature setting.

Another test drive (10km and up to full engine temperature) and the same thing happened.

Assuming the EGR valve is now good, does anyone have a clue what might be the next thing to look at?

Thanks a million

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I cleaned the contacts and reseated the wiring connection to the EGR.
Thought it was fixed, but it turned out that it was so cold outside (-4 C) that the engine never hit the magic temperature to cause the problem.
Driving today in +5 C and the problem re-emerged.
If I shut off the engine and restart it while driving, the problem seems to go away for a while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went back to the garage today. He said there might be a blockage in the pipe before the EGR valve.
Or, he has sometimes seen these errors when MAF sensor is acting up.
Today is Wednesday and he's going to do full diagnostics on it next Monday.
Let's hope he gets to the bottom of it.
I'll report back when I know anything.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update.
So the garage had the car for 2 weeks. Said the ECU had been changed by a previous owner and was not installed correctly. Something wrong with the connections.
Anyway, he corrected that and could now get in to program the new EGR valve (couldn't do that before because the new valve was not being recognised).
He took it for a 15km test drive on Saturday and it worked fine. I took it for a 15km test drive when I picked it up later that day and it worked fine.
On the way to work on Monday about 15km into my drive ... same problem ... loss of power. P0490-20 and P042F-20.
Was fine on the way home from work. Failed on the way back to work today (Tuesday). Guess I've got to go back to the garage again to see what's wrong now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update.
So the car worked fine to and from work on Wednesday and Thursday. Work is 30 km away.
Maybe the problem has now fixed itself? :)
Fingers crossed

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hey. I had one of these nasty engines.

The EGR valve is a nightmare on these things. I had mine replaced to the tune of 500 pounds (my american keyboard doesn't do the sign!). I'm sure a good clean would have solved it

My thoughts are it's probably sticking due to carbon build up.

These engines need so much love to keep them running well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your comments guys.
I never got to the bottom of this problem and solved it by trading in the car and buying a newer Mondeo.
Pity, I would loved to have solved it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Thanks for all your comments guys.
I never got to the bottom of this problem and solved it by trading in the car and buying a newer Mondeo.
Pity, I would loved to have solved it.
In the long term I think this was a good decision. Those engines were absolute garbage with EGR issues, and leaky valve issues. Not to mention the pre 2010 ones that had eloys fluid DPFs which would result in other issues related to carbon build up. There was also the recommendation of oil changes every 6000 miles because of the above issues.

They replaced them with an 8 valve version for the MK3 and were far better.

What Mondeo did you go for in the end? I've owned a 2000 MK2 2.0 petrol and 2002 MK3 2.0 diesel. The 2.0 diesel engine is great however again has EGR issues, and other air related problems. Mine always used to put black smoke out whenever I gave it the boot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went for a mk4 1.6 diesel econetic Mondeo. MPG is a big issue for me. It only has 135,000 km (84,000 miles) on the clock. My wife has been driving a similar one for 2 years and has 225,000 km (140,000 miles) on the clock now without any big issues (yet !!!), so my reasoning is I'd get a few years out of my one - plus I got the Titanium spec which is a big step up from a mk2 Focus !!!

Fingers crossed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts