Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey hows it goin. I was just wondering if there was any way to delete the egr system without needing a tune? could i just re-run the vacumelines to make the car think it has the egr still? what does the egr even do and is there any downside to deleting it?

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
Well, you can plug one of the lines with a golf tee. You'll get a CEL for eternity without a tune though. No way around it.

http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=80

Even after my tune, I still have it plugged with a golf tee. For awhile, it was the only way my car would run since I have a failed DPFE sensor. When I rework the engine, I completely removing the EGR system all together.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I have my egr pipe blocked off at the exhaust manifold with a piece of metal, and the car runs great. My car threw a CEL, and that's about it. No more stumbling while idling or hesitations on acceleration.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Is there a how to on deleting this? i heard somewhere that doing away with the EGR will net you more HP is that true, because i was thinking of doing this.

·
Registered
909 Posts
....and no, you won't get more HP. It just makes your car run better, especially if your EGR system has taken the turn for the worse. IMO, I think the Focus doesn't enjoy breathing exhaust gas being introduced at the intake manifold

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Actually you could lose HP with the EGR deleted. What could happen.....the engine might start to detonate because of the increased combustion temperatures, and the computer would retard the ignition timing to compensate. Result....probably less HP. and increased fuel consumption.

IMO....dumb idea. You have a running problem? Try something else.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Well, my engine runs fine. No more hesitations across the power band like before. Maybe it was a dumb idea, but it was an idea, and it worked for me.

·
Registered
909 Posts
^That's what I figured. Why offer the EGR delete option if they knew it wasn't gonna be safe for our cars? Granted, the way I did mines was a bit hobo, but it is essentially the same thing.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Actually you could lose HP with the EGR deleted. What could happen.....the engine might start to detonate because of the increased combustion temperatures, and the computer would retard the ignition timing to compensate. Result....probably less HP. and increased fuel consumption.

IMO....dumb idea. You have a running problem? Try something else.
now why would taking exhaust gas' out of the mixture going to raise the combustion temp? exhaust is hot not cold. now i could be wrong... but anything i would think it would lower temps, increasing fuel economy.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
^^^^^Here's what happens.....you're recycling already burned gas back into the intake when the EGR is operational. So.....this part of the mixture doesn't ignite for a second time, which makes for a cooler ignition in the cylinder.

They've been doing this for years.....prevents detonation, and lowers emissions. And in this state, it's illegal to remove any emission device. It's supposedly checked during a safety inspection.

Just what does that tune thing do if you remove the EGR.....turn off the CEL? Anything else?

·
Registered
417 Posts
or you could just put a breather filter on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts