Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything on the EGR delete plate sold on focus trends. I read the descriptionl, but im still not sure what it will do for performance wise. Is it a good mod. Does it add hp? Is it worth the $ 20.00?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I'd say dont do it. You wont burn the unspent fuel in the exhaust and your mileage will drop at highway speeds, but it probably won't improve performance at takoff since the EGR is closed when the engine is at idle. It may play havoc with your computer though, because your O2 sensor will be freaked out by the extra oxygen in the airstream since it wasn't combined with the fuel in reburn. It may also screw up your catalyst since more unburnt fuel will make it into its platinum matrix. I'd say dont bother. you wont realize any noticeable gains and the downside may be expensive.

·
Registered
20 Posts
zx3matt: I would think you'd would know better than to try an hijack a thread concerning a product a paying site sponsor sells

to answer your question...

Performance: you will not gain any horsepower. You will however gain throttle responce. You know that sllushy feeling the focus has when you car cruising and then try and accelerate...it will get rid of it. That common mid-range stumble is cause by the egr system

Negative effects: your check engine light will come on unless you have a chip to turn it off. I personally saw no loss in gas mileage and no customer has ever reported a loss in gas mileage

Is it for you? Only you can answer that. I'd say its not a mod that should be looked at like adding an intake or an exhaust. It's a specialty part that was made to meet the demand of a few howerver since we put it into production, we have sold quite a few without a single complaint.

Another great benefit to this is if you decide to remove the egr, as opposed to just blocking it, you really free up a ton of engine bay space which makes working on the car a lot easier. It also cleans up the look of the engine.

Let me know if you have any questions...I'll be glad to help in any way I can

·
The Professor
2,664 Posts
I am agree with totally removing it as well If you have a long-tube, not cats, and a chip (this guy didn't specify). If not just to get rid of the extra heat. The added space is good too. Sorry to step on your feet, but $20 is way too much for a metal plate.

My BAD...

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah i already have no cat and the 02 sensor takes care of the engine light so im not worried bout that...Are there any how to threads on removing the EGR..Im not to familiar with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm not sure if there are any threads already made about it but I could walk you through it.

Its actually quite simple.

What header do you plan to use? If its the SVT or the FC without the EGR bung, then you don't have to worry about this.
If using any other header, you will need a M22-1.5 oil drain plug (NAPA Part # 704-1048) to plug the egr bung in the header

so... Unbolt the the egr from the intake manifold (2 bolts)... then take off the nut holding the egr tube on the header. Once you are done, undo the wiring harness and zip tie it out of the way.
There will be a small vacume hose from the top of the egr tube... block it with any small piece of plastic. Once you do all this, the egr will be free to pull out. Then just bolt the egr plate into place and the oil drain plug into the header and you will be done.

I hope that wasn't confusing. If you do have a problem during the actual installation, I can give you my number and you could call me or instat message me and i'll walk you through it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah my Race header has it... So... When you disconnect it from the intake mani do you have to plug that hole...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts