Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dude i know, i want to remove the system completely and block off the holes on the intake mani.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
Or you could always just make your own out of a piece of sheetmetal and some black RTV to seal it to the intake manifold...

And I've heard that all you need to do to seal the exhaust side is cut the nut off of the rest of the tubing and put two pennies in the bung on the header and then tighten the nut down behind them.

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have an svt header so nothing to seal on the exhaust side, just want the ugky egr valve and everything else out of there.

·
Registered
384 Posts
OK, that the erg off. Place it on a peice of metal (aka thick peice of sheet metal) and trace it out, drill the holes, get some high temp rtv or gasket material and bolt the plate on. Using metal the same thickness as the stock egr flange will reduce the need to get new bolts or spacers.

Have fun

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
It depends...on a bone stock Focus you'll actually screw things up since the computer figures the A/F ratio on the assumption that its drawing a small amount of exhaust back into the intake charge. With modifications and a tune it will eliminate lag, but its questionable if the lag is noticeable. I disabled mine by unplugging the EGR vaccum line from the EGR valve since my DPFE module is dead...before, it would open the valve all the way and after sitting at a light I'd try to launch and it would bog, because I was sucking a bunch of exhaust in that filled the intake manifold while sitting.

When I get an xcalII I'll probably tune the EGR out of the system and then remove it...there's a theory that the engine will be hotter with the EGR turned off; the logic is less oxygen in the intake charge=less fire in the cylinder, which results in a cooler engine, but I haven't overheated since turning off the EGR valve.

·
Boost?
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SkaAddict said:
It depends...on a bone stock Focus you'll actually screw things up since the computer figures the A/F ratio on the assumption that its drawing a small amount of exhaust back into the intake charge. With modifications and a tune it will eliminate lag, but its questionable if the lag is noticeable. I disabled mine by unplugging the EGR vaccum line from the EGR valve since my DPFE module is dead...before, it would open the valve all the way and after sitting at a light I'd try to launch and it would bog, because I was sucking a bunch of exhaust in that filled the intake manifold while sitting.

When I get an xcalII I'll probably tune the EGR out of the system and then remove it...there's a theory that the engine will be hotter with the EGR turned off; the logic is less oxygen in the intake charge=less fire in the cylinder, which results in a cooler engine, but I haven't overheated since turning off the EGR valve.
i wish everyone was as knowlegable (sp?) as you, great input.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah men thanks for the info,, i'll leave it there for now since the only mod I've done are the header and intake...

·
Registered
384 Posts
Mine is disabled becasue my dpfe sensor is dead, It not rigth blocked off but its better then whe it was hooked up. I will eventually replace the sensor but ford wanted too much money for it, and since the car has already eaten 3 sensors im not in a big rush to do it again.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Not to steal a thread...but....

I am getting an SVT header, but it doesn't have the EGR bung in it. Will the car run funky if I don't hook it up. I would assume so because the computer thinks it would be there, and I know it will throw a CEL, but will it drive horribly. The only reason I'm asking is because if it is just the CEL lighting up I can live with it until I get cams and and Xcal II. However, if the car isn't going to drive well, then I will have to weld in the bung for the EGR.

·
Registered
8,262 Posts
^
When the DPFE detects no incoming exhaust, it'll just close the EGR valve and throw a fault code. It'll be like driving around without an EGR system.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Okay...but the car should drive fine still? If it is just a CEL I can live with it until I get a tune. The CEL is on now anyway, and it will be until I feel the need to drop my fuel tank and find where the leak is on top. It wouldn't be making very good use of my new DPFE, but oh well....I'd rather not have to go get a bung weleded in.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts