Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE: i went to my dads house and he braze welded the egr back together got rid of all the brackets thats held the stock cat and added a sparkplug non fouler to the lower o2 Bung and thus being able to tighten down the header correctly it sounds like a champ now
No CEL FTW![thumb]

well me and some friends installed my 4-2-1 header last night and we had a hell of a time gettin the egr off we got a little turn out of it but no room for more turning underneath or above the engine so we Sawed it off [wrenchin]

well we tried to tack weld a plate of metal on the stock fitting which went wrong and has nice size air hole in it (and its loud!)

so my reasearching i need a M22x1,50 to cap off the EGR
and noone in my area sells this size at least no size above Metric 20x1,50
i tried Napa,Advance Auto,Daytona Nut and Bolt,Ace hardware,home depot,lowes(nothing above metric 20)
or they have pipe threading not machine at the hardware stores

so any ideas? im guessing cutting my weld off and doing it properly
also what are the effects of blocking the egr without turning off the EGR with a tuner?

·
Registered
975 Posts
i used one of those lead pipe caps i found in the plumbing section of the hardware store. worked fine for me.

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
nuts from lowes and yes it does need to be turned off gas milage will decrease make sure you block it off at the im tho

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does anyone have a pic of a blocked off egr at the Intake Manifold i only see these blocked off at the EGR bung on the header

·
Registered
442 Posts
i would take one but my tb and intake are in the way.

what i did was take the egr out of the manifold and i found a bottle cap that fit the hole and then jb welded around and inside and out.

you will have to take off the IM and really pull on the egr and it will pop out.
and If your manifold was as dirty as mine youll be glad you have it off to clean it!

·
coffee, have some
5,971 Posts
I really need to do this also. Mine's plugged with a golf tee, but I have it disabled with a tune.

I also would like to see a picture of it at the IM. But you really need to take the IM off? I guess I'm not EGR savy and all that

·
2focusedracing
1,799 Posts
no need to pull the intake mani. , just make a block off plate from a piece of steel & use some rtv. still turn off in a tune though. I'll get a pic. for ya.
it's a phone pic. so it's a little dark....

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE" i went to my dads house and he braze welded the egr back together got rid of all the brackets thats held the stock cat and added a sparkplug non fouler to the lower o2 Bung and thus being able to tighten down the header correctly it sounds like a champ now

·
Registered
334 Posts
so i want to make sure I understand correctly,

Will getting a tune disable the flow through the EGR system and thus the need for a block off plate?

·
FocusXtreme
3,369 Posts
still block at the haeder for the exhaust gas, but im not as important but i would still recomend it

·
C2H5OH
11,867 Posts
yes it does need to be turned off gas mileage will decrease
Not true at all. My mileage has not suffered one bit in the 7 years I have not had EGR and have not tune for my lack of. I still average 28mpg.

I used a 3/4" pipe plug in mine with some of that exhaust cement crap. I't's held up for the 5 or so years it's been on there. Not the prettiest, but it works.

Also heard and have tried a couple quarters and the nut from the EGR tube, probably the cheapest method.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i have a sri and magnaflow exhaust on my car. if i take apart and plug the egr, will i need to get the car tuned?

·
Adam
1,688 Posts
I blocked my EGR and for whatever reason the CEL has not come on.. [scratch]

·
Registered
334 Posts
still block at the haeder for the exhaust gas, but im not as important but i would still recomend it
so if I'm putting the header taken directly off an SVT, would i still do this? there is no provision for the EGR on this header

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so if I'm putting the header taken directly off an SVT, would i still do this? there is no provision for the EGR on this header
the SVT has no egr so you can remove your egr system and block it from the back with a plate if you wanted
but a tuner will turn the EGR system off and keep any CEL from coming on

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have a sri and magnaflow exhaust on my car. if i take apart and plug the egr, will i need to get the car tuned?
all you would get is a Check Engine Light
the egr basically takes hot exhaust fumes from the exhaust manifold and returns it to the combustion chamber to ensure the combustion chamber stays at proper combustion temps

while on most cars this can affect your Miles per gallon because a cooler combustion chamber will tell the cars Computer (ECU) to adjust its air fuel settings

but on the focus this doesnt seem to be a problem running the car without an EGR so if you want to remove it go ahead but......... i wouldnt till you get a header and give up on properly removing the EGR and end up removing it lol

there are no power gains to be made from removing your EGR so again its not completely necessary

1 - 17 of 17 Posts