1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!
6,125 Posts
are you [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]g kidding me? thats cheap too.

·
Registered
425 Posts
You can put together a kit much cheaper

Tom
Tom,
I am looking for quick and easy installation over price so I think I am going to get this all in one surge tank unit. This is Joe Laska I dropped off my engine and parts to be built by Keith last year and then came down and picked it up a few months later. Hopefully you remember me. I am putting in the new engine finally. I am taking the Lentec up To Chris and he is going to install the HD Input shaft that I finally found, in the tranny while I wait.

Should I go with the 60 or 50 PSI kit? And will I still need a Boost a Pump with this?

Also do I still use the stock zetec FPR, while using this Surge System?

After I get this finished I would like to have you dyno tune it if possible. I can bring it down at your convenience any time this summer, I should be done within 4 weeks and ready to tune.

Thank you,
Joe

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
I woudnt go by PSI as much as I would go by LPH , you need volume as well as PSI and I dont see anything about LPH

It keeps mentioning " Requires an existing mechanical or electric, low pressure pump in vehicle " Your stock Focus pump can make 60-65 psi easly what do they consider low psi ?

It says " No need to run new fuel lines under vehicle " How do you run a return line to the stock tank with out running a new line

I would want to see a lot more information about this before buying it

Tom

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Took a quick look at the Info for the "surge tank" by itself, that's not really an accurate description of what it is/does.

It's designed as a constant pressure fuel supply unit, combining a small fuel reservoir and pump/regulator in one unit. Your choice of the two outlet pressures avail..

Pump is constant on, feeding a regulator internal to the unit that bypasses fuel not required back into the reservoir. Fuel level float valve regulates fuel supplied to the unit by a constant on "low pressure" pump that feeds it from the fuel tank.

Think of this as a self contained return type system, the outlet of it is from the controlled pressure portion of it's fuel circuit. One low pressure line to it, that needs any pump to supply it that can provide enough volume for max. flow required of the system, one controlled pressure outlet to the injector rail.

Stock Focus fuel pump is overkill when run constantly, more pressure than that would want (you need more specs. to pick one to use, but we're talking typical carburetor pressures not fuel injection ones). No need for a return line, again this is set up to work off a typical carbureted engine fuel supply system.

I'm sure the FPR would still be used to report pressure to the PCM, but it won't be used for PCM control of the fuel pump.

Tom could fill in details, this would tune in a manner similar to a full return type system with mechanical regulator.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
Agree , this seemed to be more for a Carb (7-8 psi fuel feed ) engine with maybe a Nitrous kit added where you want more fuel psi for the Fuel side of the Nitrous or maybe a carb engine with a Supercharger or turbo added with secondary Injectors

I dont think it would be good for what your wanting joecool

Tom

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Kinda what I was thinking, assumed it was for use with Edelbrock EFI systems made to replace carbureted setups.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
The sock on the tank isnt the issue and even with the 4 way fuel sosk if you run the fuel low on the Focus with hard acceleration the pump would still starve of fuel

Tom

·
Registered
283 Posts
So then what is this issue as to why it gets starved of fuel? And wouldn't it still get starved of fuel if you ran a surge tank your only talking about 1-2 liters of fuel in the surge tank so then the original in tank pump would be starved once the surge runs out of fuel then that would be starved as well no??? Just trying to understand it all as this is my next step in my on going build is a return fuel system of some sort.

·
FF Affiliate
31,087 Posts
I am doing a 3L surge tank , if my math is correct should be able to do a 1/2 mile wide open with out running out of fuel , I think 2L would do close to the same I am just going a little more for a little more room , I tend to like to stretch my legs some times LOL

It gets starved because the fuel pump assy is at the front of fuel tank and the canister can only hold so much , stock doesnt fill very fast and cannot keep up with demand after adding Turbo . the stock canister has a built in return system where it by passes a psi regulator and returns back into the canister

Tom

1 - 15 of 15 Posts