Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the eDead v4 mats worth the extra money? Or is there another route I should go for sound dampening.... I know there is a big debate on this, but who really is the most cost effecient.

·
Focused Focus
6,403 Posts
YOu know, i can get you the Dyna-mat at 5 over cost

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
version 4 teklite is awesome stuff.

I'd only use it on the door panels thou.
It's not designed for lower frequency response like dynamat extreme.

V4 is Stretchy, Pliable, and thick. It's also fire-retartant, which is a cool feature if you need to use to stop exhaust rattles.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So edead for the doors and the floors, and dynamat extreme for the hatch?

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
why even dynamat?

If I were you, I'd keep it all eDead.
If I had the chance to do it all over again, I would use
100 sqft of eDead V1 or V1se on the hatch, hatch door, side quarter panels, and 1 layer on the doors.

I would then use 20 sqft of v4 on both doors (on top of v1), and use the left over for the rear hatch door.

also use V4 on back of both license plates.

(with my combo of V1/V4 as is... I have 40sqft of V1, 20 sqft of V4)
The inside of the car is an acoustical dream. I can blast the music super loud, without annoying the person next to me at a stop light... unless my windows are rolled down.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
Is asphalt really that bad?
at least in California, I haven't yet experienced it melting or any rank stenches...

besides that it leaves behind a tar-like brown/amber stain, what are the other drawbacks?

A couple things irk me about the site.
1)
Another problem with asphalt mats is the smell. You should be fine during cool weather, but on a hot day, they tend to smell like, well asphalt.

Peel & Seal and Jiffy Seal are roofing products that fit in this category. Many people buy them for sound deadening. Of the products I tested, B-Quiet Extreme, Brown Bread, Dynamat Original, eDead v1, eDead v1SE and FatMat are in this group. Many people report great success with one or more of these mats. They are certainly the cheapest option. If you know your car will never be exposed to extreme heat or cold, they may work for you. I'm not suggesting that all of these products have a 100% failure rate under extreme conditions, but I do believe they are risky. Their narrower temperature range also means they will be less effective the farther they get from room temperature.

I would not use any of these products in my car.
eDead V1 (no one being produced) was fine for me? Yes, I noticed asphalt smell, but not after a few days, even in extreme heat.

I have used eDead V1 also on the underbody of my car where It is exposed to extreme temperatures. I have a 6" x 8" strip over my muffler because the heatshield was causing rattling and scratching the hell out of the muffler. The rubber/asphalt core hasn't puddled in a pool, and is still intact, and serving it's purpose of eliminating exhaust rattle.

eDead is a butyl based mat.

No it isn't. Please stop saying that.
It is now. (V1se)
Also eDead V4 is not asphalt nor butyl based.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts