Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was randomly driving on the highway and my car turned off. I thought it was the coil pack or fuel pump that failed but apparently my PCM is fried. Anyone ever try swapping in a new one? How hard is it for a 2001 Ford Focus? Does my car have an immobilizer? Can I just buy an ECU off eBay and direct swap it in?

·
Focus Hoarder
3,633 Posts
are you sure its not a bad ground?? 01 is a year thats known for several bad grounds and ECU's rarely just fry when driving unless your alternator kicked out an epic amount of power...

when you turn your key what does your odometer show does it show normal or does it show dash's??

all focuses have a PATS immobilizer and you will need to have your keys and fobs programmed to your new ECU if you buy one.. "some" mobile locksmiths have the tool or you can take it to the dealer or buy a ECU kit with the locks included (sometimes hitting scrapyards will yield a focus with its keys included..

you will also need to have the correct ECU firmware programmed just tossing any random ECU may work but the options set from one car to another may either be missing or the other ECU may have options yours doesnt which may throw check engine codes.. you can find your ECU firmware sticker when you open the passenger door on the A pillar between it and the fender ( or just exposing the ECU will give it to you...

if you do buy a used ECU you can also just have Ford reprogram it from its old firmware to the correct firmware your car needs.

i do know this is true because i pulled the ECU off a vehicle with ABS and replaced it with one that does not have ABS and now the ABS is Disabled.

·
Registered
15,426 Posts
X2 on the PCM not being bad unless one knows for sure............90% of the changed ones cure absolutely nothing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts