Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have had my SVT for a week now and I have read about the ECU flash on different threads. I figure that must mean updating the computer chip. My question is how do I know if mine is at the latest update. How do I know when a new update comes out and is it something that you just periodically do? Sorry if these are dumb questions I am just getting into this and I'm trying to learn all I can.

PS: I found some nice straight empty county roads by me last evening so I opened her up a little for the first time. I am still breaking the car in so I didn't push her too hard, but all I can say is hehehehehehehehehe.[driving]

Dan

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Dan, you are correct. The various ECU flashes have updated the programs on the computer chip that controls the engine. It's actually kinda funny (in a sick, twisted way) that Ford has issued so many of these updates people are wondering if it's a regular affair! It is not supposed to be something done on a regular basis - Ford/SVT are just having a difficult time getting it right, so they keep issuing revised flashes.

Some dealers place a sticker either in the engine compartment, or on the car itself - open the right door and look on the car near the door hinges and you may find a sticker here. However, since you have an 03, this may have already been performed at the factory with no sticker evidence. If you're concerned, take it to the dealer and they can check to see if the flash is the latest. HOWEVER, may I recommend this: if it ain't broke, don't fix it!! Many who updated are getting NEW problems and are finding the old problems eventually come back anyway.

I attempted to update mine at the dealer. They hooked it up to the computer, and then told me that "it has the latest and greatest update." How that's possible I don't know, but my recommendation would be to take a less direct approach than I did - I took in a printout of the TSB, and told them exactly what I wanted them to do. I don't think they liked that. Just take the car in, tell them the problems it's having (rough cold idle, light surging at 2-3k RPM's, stalling, etc.; whatever you car is doing) and then let them attempt to figure it out on their own.

Welcome to the forum, glad you are enjoying your Focus!

[welcome]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice. Thank You!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Infra3sv said:
I fully understand letting the service writer diagnose the problem but what if he doesn't diagnose it correctly?
I dunno. All I know is my approach didn't work too well. How could I have the "latest and greatest" if it had never been flashed in the time I've owned it (since January 03)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts