Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How similar are the Ecoboost 2.0 that's in the ST and the 2.0 Duratec in the '09 focus?

I have a theory, but I'm not sure how plausible it is. I'd like to snag the turbo and the plumping involded from a crashed ST and turbo my 08 focus. Are the Ecoboost and Duractec engines similar enough to be able to do this without making it not worth it?

If you spend too much turbo'ing a 09 focus, you might as well trade your car in for a MS3 or a newer ST, so cost would obviously be the biggest factor in this.

·
Registered
130 Posts
They share dimensions but the ecoboost uses direct injection and much stronger internals among other things. Better off picking up a complete turbo kit for the duratec.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They share dimensions but the ecoboost uses direct injection and much stronger internals among other things. Better off picking up a complete turbo kit for the duratec.
But a complete duratec turbo kit is about $4k plus labor. At that cost, it'd be cheaper and easier to trade in my car like I previously mentioned.

So, since they have the same dimensions and assuming that the engines are oriented the same, then shouldn't the turbo manifold, plumping, intercooler piping, etc bolt right up?

ETA: I've been searching around and it looks to me that the ST motor and the Duratec in my 09 are oriented the exact same.

·
Premium Member
44,595 Posts
Moved to the Forced induction section.

'fraid little would be useable to turbo the '09 using ST parts, maybe someone knows if the turbo itself would bolt up to avail. turbo manifolds.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
Moved to the Forced induction section.

'fraid little would be useable to turbo the '09 using ST parts, maybe someone knows if the turbo itself would bolt up to avail. turbo manifolds.
Better off getting a gt28 turbo to start with.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Better off getting a gt28 turbo to start with.
That was my plan. Use the oil and water lines, intercooler piping, turbo downpipe, manifold, etc and just buy a garrett turbo. But if the manifold is cast into the heads, then my idea is shot to hell since the only turbo manifold I can find for my style focus is $1k. I'd be willing to spend $4-500 or so on one, but $1k puts the manifold and turbo alone at $3000.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
If you spend too much turbo'ing a 09 focus, you might as well trade your car in for a MS3 or a newer ST, so cost would obviously be the biggest factor in this.
Figure out the price difference in what your car is worth & the cost of a st & speed3. Tack on 4000. to your car & what do you come up w/? A speed3 swap would be so much simpler then a st. The speed3 is going to be closer= mzr motor. How about a TriPoint engineering turbo kit? They're the ones that did the speed3 R&D for Mazda.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Figure out the price difference in what your car is worth & the cost of a st & speed3. Tack on 4000. to your car & what do you come up w/? A speed3 swap would be so much simpler then a st. The speed3 is going to be closer= mzr motor. How about a TriPoint engineering turbo kit? They're the ones that did the speed3 R&D for Mazda.
It's hard to tell what my car is actually worth. I got into a wreck a few months ago and my insurance told me the value of my car was $9200. You and I both know that a 2009 Focus with 102xxx miles isnt worth that.

As far as a swap goes, I feel like that would be a waste of money. I just wanted to take parts off of the ST and bolt them onto the Duratec. I can get a used ST motor for about $2000. If i'm going from 140hp of my car to the 252hp of the ST, a swap might be worth it if, in fact, the manifold and heads are cast together. I mainly want to do it because I don't know anyone with a turbo'd focus. I have a couple buddies with MS3's, Mustangs, Subaru's, etc. I want something different, but I'm not going to make a dumb decision and pour a lot of money into my car if it's not worth it.

ETA: And a MS3 Engine runs upwards of $3500 or so. That's a little much.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
But since we're on the MS3 train, does anyone know if the MS3 turbo manifold will bolt up with the Duratec? I know there's subtle differences in the 2.0 Duratec and the 2.3 MZR, but i'm not sure if the turbo mani will bolt on. If it does, then i'm in business. If not, back to square one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As to whether MS3 mani fits on a D20, nobody has tried it to my knowledge, but long tube headers are interchangeable between the D20 and D23, the D23 being the same engine as the MS3, so it's very likely they'd interchange.
Try to find a used turbo manifold from a blown duratec?
I'm toying with the idea of turboing my 13 Focus since upgrading to the ST would cost a ton of money and it's really not that implausible.
Unfortunately we've got to pay to play, and the price for forced induction usually runs a few thousand dollars no matter which way you go about it.

·
w/ my magic bag
29,468 Posts
As to whether MS3 mani fits on a D20, nobody has tried it to my knowledge, but long tube headers are interchangeable between the D20 and D23, the D23 being the same engine as the MS3, so it's very likely they'd interchange.
Try to find a used turbo manifold from a blown duratec?
I'm toying with the idea of turboing my 13 Focus since upgrading to the ST would cost a ton of money and it's really not that implausible.
Unfortunately we've got to pay to play, and the price for forced induction usually runs a few thousand dollars no matter which way you go about it.
This^^^^^^^^ + I'd also add the brakes,suspension to take advantage of the added power. I'd also go one more w/ a diff.[thumb]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts