Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know that much about cars, but I really want to invest in the ecoboost turbocharger that will be in the new ST focus, for my stock SEL focus. I know both the ST and the standard focus both share the 2.0L engine...

Does anyone know if the turbocharger will be compatible? Also, I want to do this before my warranty runs out, any ideas on if Ford will void my warranty if I do in fact add the turbocharger?

Thanks!

·
Vinyl + LED guru
4,243 Posts
For the price this would run you from Ford + installation for a warranty + the fact that there is no kit yet, may never be, you're better off to have one made from a sponsor on here.

·
Registered
25,627 Posts
It would be easier to probably buy an ST with the turbo on it...If you add the turbo? forget your warranty and plan on spending 5-7K to do it right...BUT on a positive note, boost is WONDERFUL!

·
Registered
968 Posts
For the price this would run you from Ford + installation for a warranty + the fact that there is no kit yet, may never be, you're better off to have one made from a sponsor on here.
+1
You'd probably spend less, make more power, and have less headaches buying an aftermarket kit (when they become available). Your powertrain warranty would probably be voided either way, so you might as well go aftermarket.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Premium Member
21,250 Posts
Dual scroll turbochargers are on the market- that's the same style as the eco-boost. The 2012 is a little too new to have been investigated by aftermarket companies for boosting. You might have a wait a couple of years. For example, turbocharging requires much more fuel than normally aspirated engines, so you might need new injectors. As far as I know, nobody has researched the capabilities of the new direct injectors. Due to the high pressure, it might be possible not have to change injectors. That makes things a bit easier, but I don't think anyone is going to produce a turbo kit where you can put it on a totally stock engine because the compression ratio is 12:1. Even with direct injectors, it is most likely not possible to boost an engine with high compression like that. That means you'll need new pistons with a lower compression ratio.

I'm just scraping the surface, but you see why it might be a while before there is a turbo kit for these engines.

It's not the topic for Technical Chat anyway. Ford Focus Technical Chat is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls. Basically that means repairs. Your question might be better answered in the Ecoboost and Forced Induction Chat Forum which is dedicated to turbocharging and turbocharged vehicles. Those guys in there like 1TurboFocus, 03OrangeSVT, and others have lots of experience with turbocharging.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the answers!

Sorry about posting in the wrong section. It is good that not much is out for the 2012, it means I'll have to wait for my warranty to end anyway.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The standard 2.0 is now 12:1 compression, which is too high for forced induction. The DI IVCT 3.5 Ecoboost is 10:1 compression for comparison.

·
Registered
968 Posts
High compression doesn't mean you can't turbocharge, it just means the tune has to be very conservative. Direct injection allows for higher compression, BMW runs high compression in their 3.0 turbo motors.

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
431 Posts
High compression doesn't mean you can't turbocharge, it just means the tune has to be very conservative. Direct injection allows for higher compression, BMW runs high compression in their 3.0 turbo motors.

Posted via FF Mobile
Direct injection is the reason why the 3.5 Ecoboost engines can use 10:1 compression with boost. Even with direct injection, you could not use forced induction with 12:1 compression without 100 octane plus racing fuel. Conservtive tune means less timing which increases EGT's, now you need to add extra fuel. Now with less timing and more fuel you have less power, now you add more boost that causes the knock/detonation to come back, it turns into a circle of no power gain.

·
( o Y o )
5,549 Posts
the power of these twin vct engines is in their ability to change how long the exh valve is open, effectivley allowing tuners to change how much air to leave in the cylinders. While youll still have 10:1 compressions of piston to head volume, you wont have the same volume of air if the exh valve closes at BDC.

Go check out the new 3.7L v-6s in the mustang with turbos and centrifical superchargers, they run like 8-10 psi with their stock compressions really high and get insane results (like 100+ whp over stock)

·
Registered
93 Posts
The first question to be answered is, Do you have a Manual of Auto? If you have an auto, your "ceiling" of hoursepwer will be lower because the dry double clutch won't be able to handle too much more torque than stock...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts