Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have tips to get better mileage. 1000km into my new car and I'm only getting 11.1L/100km, or 21.1mpg for the americans. Is there a longer break in period that's needed?

Eco mode always gives me full marks for speed. The roads I take have an 80km/h limit and I travel to work at 5am and 2pm so traffic is light. But my anticipation is always 0. I don't hammer on the brakes, I don't (always) take off hard. I'll get maybe one or two leafs when I'm on the high way but nothing more. Any tips?

Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
As far as I saw till now, it is all about how hard you press on your gas pedal at red lights or stops. And I agree with you, it is a fun car to drive and great to do some "take offs". I have already 2500 km in my car (after 1 month of ownership) and I can say you I didn't mind the consumption the first 1600 km. Drive it good, break in it and then, after 2000 km, start counting the mpg or L/100km. I am sure it will all settle in time for you.

·
Registered
747 Posts
you're probably into winter blend gas by now, that'll make things a little low

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah getting 400km on a tank is lame though, I fill up less than my last car, but it's a much bigger tank.

I'm through my joyride phase, I did enough of those waiting for MFT to BMC. Winter is coming, it's wet and cold in the mornings I'm switching over to winter tires this week so I don't imagine I'll do much more hard driving once the snow hits the ground.

The car is smooth on take offs, even with the foot down. So I don't mind even doing half throttle take offs, I'll try to ease it even slower but I don't want people riding my ass or passing me.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
168 Posts
It is all in the way you drive!
Change your driving habits and your MPG/LPK will go up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
2012 Focus SE Sport Pkg

I've got just over 4000km on my Focus right now. I have done some experimenting back and forth with premium and regular (a few tanks of each before switching). With regular, my Focus usually settles around 7.1L/100km and 6.2L/100km with premium. All of my driving is city driving, so those numbers haven't been skewed due to highway mileage or anything like that. I've been very impressed with it so far. I know when I start pushing the car and having some real fun, I've pushed my average up to about 8.0L/100km, but thats the worst I've seen since I went past 2000km.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I'm way off. Do you guy think I'm just dragging racing around, I feel it's a pretty mild commute with minimal stops and mostly in 6th gear. But I can't even get down to 10L
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
3 Posts
Floor it from a stop up to 75mph did it for me, MPG's went up on a highway trip from 31 to 36mpg. I needed a hard long run. Doing it again made no difference, it just needed breaking in at 800 miles. I reset the mpg display while on the interstate and I was reading a steady 31 mpg before breaking it in.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think it's the fact that I can rarely get a single leaf for anticipation. And I don't know how to lose any leaves for speed, I'm always maxed. I know that probably sounds like a terrible driver, but I assure you I'm not.
Posted via FF Mobile

·
Registered
61 Posts
Anticipation also takes into account braking. For example exiting a freeway staying on the gas to the end and braking versus just coasting down the ramp makes a big difference in my car.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was getting 21-22 mpg until I had about 1500 miles on the car. Then it was 24-25 up until I had about 3500 miles. Now I'm getting 27-29 mpg on average. This is with about 85% city or more driving. I rarely go on any highways/freeways.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
Mine starting see much better mileage a 1000 and Also if you accelerate slowly maybe just barely falling behind traffic your anticipation will be 5. Ive been eco champion on some days and WTF are you doing Read your manual you planet killer on other days :)

my average has never seen below 30 though.

·
Registered
103 Posts
That's strange.
I started out at about 7.5L/100 km in September. Now, after 6,000 km, I'm averaging about 7.0L/100 km. That's with mainly highway driving. I managed to hit the Eco Mode Champion status within 10 days of driving my car.

The one factor might be since you're doing mainly consistent speeds and your car needs a longer break-in period. In the Ford video about the Powershift transmission, they did say something about the transmission needing more time to break in if you're doing more highway driving. This could be what's going on here -- you needing a bit more time for the car to fully "break-in".

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got it down .2 L today so I'm at 10.9L and had 1 leaf for a short while, it went back to 0 before I got home though.

·
Sonic Mk3 Crew #03
1,844 Posts
I got it down .2 L today so I'm at 10.9L and had 1 leaf for a short while, it went back to 0 before I got home though.
BTW i break my car in the way its going to be driven so its been floored and beat on every once in awhile which im sure speeds up the break in time.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've gotten my "Eco Champion" before:
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3866183&postcount=20

I think the key to good anticipation marks is coasting. If I'm not mistaken, manual tranny drivers should coast in gear and not in neutral. In neutral, the car needs to keep the engine alive and this requires fuel. In gear, the car's momentum keeps the engine alive and the car can cut the fuel off without killing the engine. I think this has something to do with "Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shutoff"
http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=33942

1 - 16 of 16 Posts