Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know that we would like to have the boost option and I've certainly given the idea some thought on my end.

I was looking at pictures this morning of the LA Auto Show and saw the 4 cylinder Escape setup with boost. While its larger the overall look has a similar profile to our engine.

I wonder if a kit might become available or does our setup negate that from happening?

Just putting it out there.

Joe

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
+1. How you didn't know about the ST setup baffles me. The only thing about the standard 2.0, is we run a pretty high compression ratio... for boost, you'd need the supporting internals to create a lower compression engine if you plan on running any high numbers. Direct injection allows a higher compression ratio even with boost compared to traditional port injection, as the article states, but it would still need to be lowered.

Bottom line, it's possible.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have eco boost on mine :)

o wait this is the focus forum LOL

i have an f150 eco boost. would love the same techno on my focus.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
+1. How you didn't know about the ST setup baffles me. The only thing about the standard 2.0, is we run a pretty high compression ratio... for boost, you'd need the supporting internals to create a lower compression engine if you plan on running any high numbers. Direct injection allows a higher compression ratio even with boost compared to traditional port injection, as the article states, but it would still need to be lowered.

Bottom line, it's possible.

Please re-read. I knew about it but my question was towards our cars and a kit being available.

·
low n slow
2,163 Posts
the question is not can it be done but how deep are your pockets

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Please re-read. I knew about it but my question was towards our cars and a kit being available.
-1 to you. I read just fine, especially this part: "...or does our setup negate that from happening?"

Obviously it doesn't. The ST utilizes our 2.0 GDI engine, with different hardware and tuning to utilize a turbocharger. It's OBVIOUSLY possible. It's already been done.

Your question had an answer before you even posted it.

A kit will most definitely be in the works... but all it's going to do is give our engine the treatment Ford gave it already. Of course to get a kit, it won't be cheap. It's gonna be all hardware (i.e. rods, pistons, intake, intake mani, turbo, turbo mani, intercooler piping and core, and a way to tune the car, like an ECU reflash tool like the Cobb AP (It should be coming out someday for us, Cobb has already shown they're on board and mean business with their custom turbo setup SEMA car, another answer to your question) and other odds and ends making fitment possible i.e. lines, hoses, barbs, etc.

I will add this though... you're driving a Titanium, so you have the DCT transmission. It's not rated to handle the torque a turbo-kit is going to give it. You're better off leaving well alone and getting an ST if you really want a turbo Focus.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
-1 to you. I read just fine, especially this part: "...or does our setup negate that from happening?"

Obviously it doesn't. The ST utilizes our 2.0 GDI engine, with different hardware and tuning to utilize a turbocharger. It's OBVIOUSLY possible. It's already been done.

Your question had an answer before you even posted it.

A kit will most definitely be in the works... but all it's going to do is give our engine the treatment Ford gave it already. Of course to get a kit, it won't be cheap. It's gonna be all hardware (i.e. rods, pistons, intake, intake mani, turbo, turbo mani, intercooler piping and core, and a way to tune the car, like an ECU reflash tool like the Cobb AP (It should be coming out someday for us, Cobb has already shown they're on board and mean business with their custom turbo setup SEMA car, another answer to your question) and other odds and ends making fitment possible i.e. lines, hoses, barbs, etc.

I will add this though... you're driving a Titanium, so you have the DCT transmission. It's not rated to handle the torque a turbo-kit is going to give it. You're better off leaving well alone and getting an ST if you really want a turbo Focus.
The "our setup" point was the concern of the PCM programming and the added air pressure of a turbo (obviously needing a new flash). You then go on to further respond by adding that the lower end won't support it nor will the DCT. Thank you for that input which is what my question was about.

"Ours" are not the ST we'd all love to get our hands on.

Joe

·
Registered
468 Posts
the question is not can it be done but how deep are your pockets
Exactly! And it appears that the engine in the Ecoboost cars are subtly redesigned so that, even if an add-on kit was available, it would not be able to provide the same level of performance as the Ford factory model[scratch].

·
Registered
788 Posts
Under the One Ford plan, NA will see the 1.0L, 3 cylinder Ecoboost as an option for the Focus in the not to distant future. It's scheduled to hit the European roads in 2012.

·
Registered
364 Posts
sucks anyone with powershift won't be able to add much power without spending $$$$. dunno how great a demand there'd be for a beefed up version of the transmission... anything close would most likely be a one-of design; and that'd just be the transmission. still have to talk internals and other mods to make it healthy for the vehicle to run the setup.

by the end of it, you might have spent the amount of money to put a good down payment on an st. lol!

·
Registered
257 Posts
sucks anyone with powershift won't be able to add much power without spending $$$$. dunno how great a demand there'd be for a beefed up version of the transmission... anything close would most likely be a one-of design; and that'd just be the transmission. still have to talk internals and other mods to make it healthy for the vehicle to run the setup.

by the end of it, you might have spent the amount of money to put a good down payment on an st. lol!
How do you know this? has anyone stressed the PowerShift to the point of failure?

·
Registered
364 Posts
How do you know this? has anyone stressed the PowerShift to the point of failure?
there's ratings for the powershift in the focus. from site reviewing getrag's dct:

Max. Torque Capacity 240 - 280 Nm
http://www.dctfacts.com/industry-at-a-glance/getrag-adds-dry-clutch-dct.aspx

that equals to about 207ft/lb tq.

what does the focus st come with STOCK? from mt:

The new ST uses a tuned version of Ford's 2.0-liter turbocharged EcoBoost inline four-cylinder rated at 250 hp and 250 lb-ft of torque
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1109_2012_ford_focus_st/

if ford produces a kit based off of the one put on the st, they'd have to make serious changes for powershift transmissions. the st produces way more power than the powershift dct can handle or handle for extended periods.

·
Registered
257 Posts
there's ratings for the powershift in the focus. from site reviewing getrag's dct:

http://www.dctfacts.com/industry-at-a-glance/getrag-adds-dry-clutch-dct.aspx

that equals to about 207ft/lb tq.

what does the focus st come with STOCK? from mt:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1109_2012_ford_focus_st/

if ford produces a kit based off of the one put on the st, they'd have to make serious changes for powershift transmissions. the st produces way more power than the powershift dct can handle or handle for extended periods.
The manufacturers torque ratings are simply for liability reasons and are not to be trusted. The only way we'll find out who much power the PowerShift can handle is by pushing it to its limits.

The 6L80 that comes in most of the the GM RWD cars, (G8, Camaro Corvette) has a max torque rating of 438 F/Lbs. People put 600 F/Lbs through that tranny without an issue. Its the same with just about every other transmission. Its not until someone blows it up that we'll know for sure.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The manufacturers torque ratings are simply for liability reasons and are not to be trusted. The only way we'll find out who much power the PowerShift can handle is by pushing it to its limits.
why don't you run diesel / french fry oil in your focus and tell me how it goes? manufacturers telling you to run only unleaded is just for liability reasons and not to be trusted. the only way to find out is to run it in your car and push it to its limits. [bash]

also, the site i linked with the torque specs. isn't a manufacturer. it's a third party site who did research on their own. probably you know... pushing the transmission to its limits. most likely why there's a range of 240-280 Nm.

not trying to be an ass... hearing someone saying specs aren't to be trusted is asking for trouble. i can overclock my desktop, but not without cooling modifications. if i do so, my desktop turns into a ticking-time-bomb... which will either freeze or shut off on its own due to hardware failure. will the powershift handle more than 207lb. ft. of tq.? sure. will it do so safely? not really. once you're over the rated limits, the whole thing becomes unstable. it's only a matter of time before something fails. and being that much over the rated limits tq. wise, something's going to break sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
257 Posts
why don't you run diesel / french fry oil in your focus and tell me how it goes? manufacturers telling you to run only unleaded is just for liability reasons and not to be trusted. the only way to find out is to run it in your car and push it to its limits. [bash]

also, the site i linked with the torque specs. isn't a manufacturer. it's a third party site who did research on their own. probably you know... pushing the transmission to its limits. most likely why there's a range of 240-280 Nm.

not trying to be an ass... hearing someone saying specs aren't to be trusted is asking for trouble. i can overclock my desktop, but not without cooling modifications. if i do so, my desktop turns into a ticking-time-bomb... which will either freeze or shut off on its own due to hardware failure. will the powershift handle more than 207lb. ft. of tq.? sure. will it do so safely? not really. once you're over the rated limits, the whole thing becomes unstable. it's only a matter of time before something fails. and being that much over the rated limits tq. wise, something's going to break sooner rather than later.
Do you have any idea what your talking about, or are you just trying to sound educated?

The link you posted copy & pasted the specs directly of the manufacturers site.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Do you have any idea what your talking about, or are you just trying to sound educated?

The link you posted copy & pasted the specs directly of the manufacturers site.
even if so, i didn't want to give credit to getrag when the url link didn't have the company in it. facts remain they tested their product. for durability and life, the numbers they released are the max. anything more and life / durability are questioned.

if something is rated r, can a 6 year old watch the film? yes. is it suggested? no.

if your car is rated to run unleaded fuel only, can you run diesel? yes. is it suggested? no.

if your car's powershift is rated to only 207ft. lb. tq., can you run more? yes. is it suggested? no.

i've brought facts and links that back up my argument, what have you brought? your thoughts and opinion.

IF ford makes an ecoboost kit for the focus, the powershift transmission version (if they make it) would have to be made with less power as per the ratings. unless they release a beefed up version of the transmission. stock mustangs with forced induction are rated to run only 8-10lbs of boost, why? their internals can only handle that much. you can run more boost, but then your car is a grenade waiting to go off.

STOCK the kit used on the focus st already produces over the max the powershift can handle as per the ratings. it doesn't even fall within a safe limit.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you drive a manual, this car has lots of power you just need to keep the revs up,
When I overtake I drop it to third gear and put my foot down and she flies.
Obviously MPG is not so good, The Auto box is tuned for Fuel consumption.
I drove an Auto the other day and it was reluctant to kick down when I needed it.
It is possible to drive this car Sporty by revving first gear to 3500 second to 4500 and third until you reach your target speed. I do find that the powertrain does not like very fast gear changes.
The ST will only be available in manual because it is a fast sporty car.
I do find that at about 2500 revs in 5th gear the engine is a bit limp on hills.
What I do then is change down to 4th and then its got power again. When I reach my target speed I slip it back in fifth for cruising.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
The "our setup" point was the concern of the PCM programming and the added air pressure of a turbo (obviously needing a new flash). You then go on to further respond by adding that the lower end won't support it nor will the DCT. Thank you for that input which is what my question was about.

"Ours" are not the ST we'd all love to get our hands on.

Joe
I added the part about "internals" in my first post, if you had cared to read it. That is the "hardware" I mentioned in the second post. Internals are that bottom end hardware needed to support a turbo setup.

Look man not trying to be rude here but you seem like you're giving me attitude for nothing. I answered your question from the start. "Our setup" is a pretty vague statement, didn't specify transmission specs or PCM programming. Just specified "setup" which to me, is engine setup.

The DCT is different that I did forget to add or make sure of the first time around. It's only rated to about 205 lbs. tq.

Sorry for any misread inflections you may have gotten from my initial post, but it did answer the question.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts