Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-04-FORD-FOCUS-4DR-JDM-BLACK-ALTEZZA-TAIL-LIGHTS-LAMP_W0QQitemZ8076108613QQcategoryZ33716QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I looked at these before and have been waffling on them. These are different than what i've seen in other ebay auctions because they are SAE/DOT stamped.

Opinions on how these would look on a black focus?

I'm also thinking about tinting my tails again and this time buying a quality clearcoat spray (suggestions on a good quality clearcoat would be appreciated) to protect them. The only thing i'm worried about with tint is getting pulled over. It's happened once before but the cop let me out of the ticket.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
id get those over tinited...esp on a black car

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah... i'm a bit leery on that... but i think they're just using JDM as an advert for the tuners out there. My biggest concern honestly is SAE/DOT stamp.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Meh. I like the look of the APC carbon fiber euros better, but i'm not big on carbon fiber.

Honestly, which is more "rice"? Carbon fiber tails, or Altezza's?

Fah. Maybe i'll just tint them and spend the money on some halo's up front.

·
☼
7,494 Posts
Black&Tan said:
Meh. I like the look of the APC carbon fiber euros better, but i'm not big on carbon fiber.

Honestly, which is more "rice"? Carbon fiber tails, or Altezza's?

Fah. Maybe i'll just tint them and spend the money on some halo's up front.
How about fake carbon fiber tails? lol

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ebay JDM labels are a joke. These days they just put JDM on everything thinking someone will fall for it. Not bad looking tail lights though.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not so much inspection as it is knowing that the lights at least meet some standards for visibility, safety, etc. One of the problems I have with tinting (besides the fact that I've had problems with the cops with it), is that it does reduce the visibility of the brake lights and reflectors.

I'm not too crazy about that stupid bolt patter around the reverse. Sheesh... why can't the sedans get cool looking tails like the hatches? ;)

I wonder if it's worth it getting the apc and just painting the insides of the friggin things...

·
Registered
531 Posts
I got the fake CF APC tails. The fake CF is ricey, but I think they'd look really nice if you painted the inside. The lens is supposedly real easy to take off and reseal. I plan on painting mine Silver to match my car. The Fitment is great, and I'm not dissapointed with them one bit.

The Altezzas are TERRIBLE a lot of the time.

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
i think its funny how nearly anymore, any aftermarket tail light is considered "rice" lol...its just funny to me how often "rice" is used.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Personally, I'd rather smoke the tails than replace them with those tail lights. I normally don't like the look of altezza lights, but once again, that's just me speaking. If you're concerned about the SAE/DOT stamping, you'll find them on most lights and housings sold anyway. I don't think I've come across many, if any at all, non-SAE/DOT approved lights. It just seems like they're advertising that as more of a push-over selling point.

Also, I've noticed that on many altezza/euro lights that people have purchased on eBay yellow quickly. My neighbor is on his 3rd set in the past 4 years. He has them on a Toyota Celica, but they've yellowed pretty quick. Also, a co-worker has them on his Scion xB and they've began to yellow and turn a brownish tint already. They're less than a year old. I'm not saying this is true for all lights, but most eBay ones lack quality. Remember, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MMMkay.

I found these for a great deal and *may* be getting them soon...

I like the lamp layout. I'm going to crack these b!tches open and pant that nasty CF black to match my car. These will look great once they're painted. Understated without the big bulgy altezza lenses and they keep the stock placement of the bulbs. They'll look like the OEM's would look if they weren't covered with red plastic ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
In my experience, I have never seen a set of aftermarket tails thats approaches the quality of the factory units. Painting the inside might help, but I would also worry about them lasting as long as factory lights.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
True, true...

but then again, I bought them for $60.00 shipped off of ebay. If they don't last, I'll just switch to my stockers and i'm only out $60.

They're the APC (yeah yeah... insert apc joke here) ones that ford racing sells that go for like $140. I've heard there are moisture problems with them, but that won't matter as I'm cracking these suckers open to paint the insides. I'll make sure to silicone seal'em when I'm done.

I actually like the look of the stock tails and if I had a different colored car, i'd probably just keep them. I think that these tails, once painted, will flow better with my debadged black rear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts